home > bookspace > my comments
Limit to:
Cover ArtThe signature of all things
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Alma Whitaker, born in 1800, lives a life of money and ease. She spends most of her life in study and learning. She is a botanist and briologist who leads a sheltered life but later travels to Tahiti and Holland. Though she longs for love it never really comes her way. For her, finding the answers and contributing to the wealth of human knowledge is fulfillment. It’s hard to explain why this book is so good but it’s one of my favorites of the year.
posted by Laura P. on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:31AM

Cover ArtVera. Set 1 [videorecording]
One of my very favorites. The fact that Vera is my ages is probably a factor lol. You'll love this one, pet.
posted by Laura P. on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:24AM

Cover ArtThe astonishing secret of Awesome Man
by Chabon, Michael.
Easy Picture Book CHABON
my 5-yr old son loves this book. very well done. cool artwork too! and the author sneaks in a message about appropriate behavior when you’re angry or upset.
posted by capo matt on Aug 19, 2014 at 8:29AM

Cover ArtSplendor
by Anna Godbersen
Teen Fiction GODBERS
This is the fourth and last book of the Luxe Series. Let me just start off by saying: I was hoping beyond hope that this series would get better. It had such potential, which is the main reason I stuck with it until the end. After finishing each book, I would tell myself, “But the next book has to get better.” Well, this book is the final measure that dashed my hopes. The entire story shows characters attempting to overcome obstacles, but, in the end, they just failed miserably, falling into a life of immorality. Yes, maybe I just really like happy ending, but isn’t a great book supposed to show that bad decisions lead to bad consequences. This book simply ended in an unrealistic sphere of fantasy. It is such a pity too, as the author really seems like she has a talent for writing. However, my final conclusion is that I would not recommend this series.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Aug 17, 2014 at 5:33PM

Cover ArtThin air
by Parker, Robert B., 1932-2010
Adult Fiction PARKER
It's always nice to find a Spencer that I haven't read yet. This is an oldie but a goodie from the late, great Robert B. Parker.
posted by Minnetonka Library Staff on Aug 16, 2014 at 4:28PM

Cover ArtThe monsters of Templeton
by Groff, Lauren.
Adult Fiction GROFF
I loved this book ! Without question , it reminded me of " Sacre Bleu " the same mix of historical fiction , weirdness , and charm ....
posted by LDP on Aug 16, 2014 at 2:24PM

Cover ArtSomething to blog about
by Shana Norris
Teen Fiction NORRIS
While I liked the idea and some of the secondary characters, I simply could not get over the annoying protagonist. And without a relatable main character, it is, in my humble opinion, impossible to enjoy any book. So, while I liked the plot and some of the action, the main character made it impossible for me to enjoy this novel.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:45PM

Cover ArtFairest
by Levine, Gail Carson.
Children's Fiction LEVINE
Gail Levine is a master mistress at being able to twist and reinvent fairy tales to make a supremely entertaining read appropriate for children. Aza exists in the same universe as "Ella Enchanted". She is an excellent singer, but far out of step with the culture's beauty standards. When she is asked/ blackmailed by the new princess (who cannot sing) to sing for her, Aza does her best. But when she is found out, keeping her head attached to her neck is going to take some doing. Somewhat based on the story of Snow White, audiences will enjoy this story of prejudice, choice and redemption.
posted by Plymouth Library on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:29PM

Cover ArtBroadchurch. The complete first season
Adult Fiction Drama BROADCH
Great atmospheric drama. Love David Tennant. I heard they're going to remake this in the US. Such a shameless grab at $$. This one can stand on it's own.
posted by Laura P. on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:25AM

Cover ArtTop of the lake [videorecording]
Adult Fiction Drama TOP OF
Ok, technically this one might be New Zealand made. Lots of secrets in this small town. Very well done drama.
posted by Laura P. on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:21AM

Cover ArtThe fall. Series 1
Adult Fiction Drama FALL
Creepy Irish mystery/cop series about a serial killer. Disturbing.
posted by Laura P. on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:18AM

Cover ArtLuther. 2 [videorecording]
Adult Fiction Drama LUTHER
This series is amazing! The characters and the acting is great. The story-line is one shock after another. Some of the eps in this series left me breathless.
posted by Laura P. on Aug 13, 2014 at 8:22AM

Cover ArtElmer Gantry
by Lewis, Sinclair, 1885-1951.
Adult Fiction LEWIS
The novel (amazingly, it was published in 1927) tells the journey of Elmer Gantry, a narcissistic, insincere, bigoted, unethical, womanizing, hypocritical student who abandons his ambition to become a lawyer to become a “preacher of the faith.” His journey leads Elmer from ordained Baptist minister, a "New Thought" evangelist, traveling salesman and eventually Methodist minister of a large prestigious church. Along the way Elmer contributes to the downfall, physical injury, mental harm and even death of key people around him, including a genuine minister, Frank Shallard. If you are expecting redemption here—you will not find it! This is a satire, funny, biting, infuriating and downright frightening (Elmer comes up with a plan to control/legislate the morals/values of the US—now where have I seen that before??). Not only do we see the hypocrisy and falseness of Elmer—but it is evident in those around him (even "Scotty" the golf pro is not an actual Scot, but a fraud who learned his false accent from a Irishman!) I was so surprised how relevant this novel was—despite the fact that it was written in the 20s. The characters are vivid, the issues presented complex and still true today (I wondered at the end if this book had been read by the Christian Coalition--to get ideas for their campaign!). A 5 out of 5 stars—a must read!
posted by Marsap on Aug 12, 2014 at 2:20PM

Cover ArtUglies
by Westerfeld, Scott.
Teen Fiction WESTERF
Filled with suspense and with a little romance. You will not be able to set this down.
posted by Firepheonix on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:29PM

Cover ArtEnvy : a Luxe novel
by Anna Godbersen
Teen Fiction GODBERS
This is the third book of the Luxe Series. It was by far the most engrossing, with an actually interesting plot, but I was disgusted by some of the content, taking into account that this is a teen book. Personally, I would have categorized this book in the adult section, considering some adult content that most teens should not be reading, especially any teen under sixteen. Besides that, the characters were much better and the plot was more interesting. Still, though, I wouldn’t categorize this as a good book.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Aug 10, 2014 at 10:25PM

Cover ArtLost in a good book : a novel
by Fforde, Jasper.
Adult Fiction FFORDE
Second in the Thursday Next series. Fforde takes his inspired lunacy to a new level in this book!
posted by Champlin Library Staff on Aug 8, 2014 at 4:41PM

Cover ArtRumors : a luxe novel
by Anna Godbersen
Teen Fiction GODBERS
The second book in the Luxe Series. While I did prefer this one to the first novel, I found it a bit dull. It didn’t have any twists that I expect from a good book—at least, no twists that weren’t obvious. My biggest probable, however, was how the author idealized the era and the characters, without showing the true hardships of the time and instead turning it into a historical Gossip Girl. The idea was great, but the execution lacked finesse.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Aug 8, 2014 at 12:32PM

Cover ArtThe land of stories. The wishing spell
by Chris Colfer
Children's Fiction COLFER
I really liked this book because it shares new stories about all the characters in the fairy tale world. I love how Alex and Conner get to experience the stories they have grown up learning in real life!
posted by Ella K on Aug 7, 2014 at 11:22AM

Cover ArtThe hunger games. Catching fire
Excellent movie! Worth waiting.
posted by 21972 on Aug 6, 2014 at 11:26PM

Cover ArtThe innocent man : murder and injustice in a small town
by John Grisham
Adult Nonfiction KF224.W5535 G75 2006
This story left me with slightly conflicted feelings. On one hand, it was brilliantly written and, though at times it was a bit slow moving, mostly well-paced. On the other hand, I found the novel slightly biased against law enforcement, but I suppose most writers have some sort of agenda in writing non-fiction. However, I wouldn’t take this book as an indication that all law enforcement is unfair. Even so, the story was interesting. As this is the first book I have read by John Grisham, I am certainly not an expert on his writing style. However, this book has made me interested in reading more of his works. Although not one of my favorite books, it was still an interesting, informative read.
posted by A.E.C.M. on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:41PM