home > bookspace > my comments > comment: uglies /
Uglies
Scott Westerfeld
Teen Fiction WESTERF

Firepheonix said:
Filled with suspense and with a little romance. You will not be able to set this down.
posted Aug 11, 2014 at 2:29PM
I love this book!! But, it's not one of those books where you can just read the first one and be done. no. you HAVE to read Uglies, Pretties, Specials, and Extras. If you don't, then Shay, Peris, Tally, you'll never know what happens :D I LOVE IT!
posted Oct 30, 2013 at 4:04PM
I have read many teen books that are really bad, so I was surprised how much I liked this book. The supporting characters weren’t developed much, but all the characters were still interesting and the plot was better than many books I’ve read. The book really got into the culture of now-a-days and the fascination of being beautiful and looking young forever. And anyone who doesn’t have the mindset of trying to be beautiful is considered to be stupid and bad. I highly recommend this book, and I look forward to reading the sequel.
posted Jun 27, 2013 at 3:13PM
Caleb said:
Uglies by Scott Wethersfeld is a really good book. It takes place in a futuristic dystopian society. Everybody turns "Pretty" when they become 16, and they get a huge surgery makeover. Everybody under 16 is "Ugly" Tally, the main character, is 15 and turns Pretty in a month and is SUPER excited. She then meets a girl named Shay, who has the same birthday as Tally, and Shay runs away. Authorities face Tally with a decision: Find Shay and turn her in, or never become pretty. The choice she makes will change her world forever.
posted Jun 22, 2012 at 3:56PM
Caleb said:
posted Jun 22, 2012 at 3:56PM
thebookworm said:
I am a person who LOVES action, romance, and a posapocoliptic (sorry i probably spelled that wrong) setting. so as you can imagine I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!! this is one of my absolute favorite books! it is so well written the charecters come alive and it is so unpredictable...... most of the time it has amazing twists in it and you are torn between a decision because tally is. i have read this series 3 times and i am so happy to say that this is one of those series that honestly gets better with every book my favorite book from the series is specials the last book i cried .... but im not going to give anything away i promise. i reccomended this book to all of my friens (all my friends and i are HUGE bookworms, thus- the name- (bookworm!) and s they all read it and absolutely loved it! please please please! read this book! if u like futuristic ganres than this book is for you! i highly reccomend this book and if you like the things i listed at the way beginning of this comment, in a book than i guarentee you will love this book!!!!!!!!! :) p.s. sorry about any typoes this thing sadly doesnt have spell check.
posted Jun 11, 2012 at 1:03PM
The first book of the Uglies series was published in 2005, three years before The Hunger Games. But a graphic novel version has been released, and the new story packs just as much punch. In the original Uglies, Tally eagerly waits her sixteenth birthday, when, through the miracle of her society’s high-tech plastic surgery, she will become beautiful. As a Pretty, her only goal in life will be the pursuit of a good time. But then Tally’s best friend Shay unexpectedly refuses her makeover, running off instead to the Smoke, an outside colony of Uglies. If Tally doesn’t spy on the Smoke, she won’t be allowed to become Pretty. The graphic novel version tells Shay’s side of the story—her attraction to the prankish Uglies gang calling itself “The Crims,” her growing dissatisfaction with the status quo, her friends’ desertion to Pretty Town, and her persuasive (except to Tally) arguments against becoming Pretty. Shay is a born rebel—much like a certain tribute from District 12—and the story from her point of view becomes something darker, more active, with the consequences of the characters’ actions even more significant. The manga-like artwork provides a light touch to a story that becomes more engrossing with each new image.
posted Jun 6, 2012 at 9:33PM
jazzy2 said:
I love this book! Got it for Christmas and read it in two days. I love all of his books, but this one it the best by far. Recommend it to anyone who likes futuristic.
posted Dec 27, 2011 at 3:04PM
sal13 said:
my friend and I had a whole disagrement on which was better this or hunger games I'll let you pick
posted Jul 6, 2011 at 8:43PM
this is the beging of what tally finds out about the real trueness of the town and she gets forced to betray her friend and the smoke and falls in love along the way
posted Dec 30, 2010 at 11:53AM
Chan said:
The first book in the Uglies series sets up the setting of a world with Pretties and Uglies. The main character Tally is upset when her friend Shay runs away before she can become a Pretty, and is given an ultimatum: turn in Shay, or never become a Pretty. Conflicted, she sets out on a journey to find her friend. Recommended for fans of future fiction.
posted Aug 1, 2010 at 7:02PM
TheQueen said:
totally my fav sci-fi series ever.
posted Jun 20, 2010 at 9:59PM
epirkl said:
I really liked reading this book. The futuristic yet not totally sci-fi setting was awesome along with the plot and the characters. It reminds me of the book Fahrenheit 451, because it's about the future and what terrible things could happen.
posted Jun 15, 2010 at 4:35PM
lucky said:
I loved the book it was awesome i liked the part where Daviad’s dad dies and i like the smoke because it sounds fun to go to if it was really.
posted Aug 18, 2009 at 5:53PM
Gracie2111 said:
This series is the best books I have ever read!
posted Jul 13, 2009 at 2:39PM
Cristina said:
This book series is so good. It is very adventerous. It has happy parts and sad parts. Pretties, Specials, and Extras and the other books in the series. I would recomend this book to people who like adventure stories and a good page-turner. It is suspensful. I love the charachters. It is about Tally Youngblood. She meets a friend shay, who wants to run off into the wild and not become "pretty". You turn pretty when you are 16 and you have an operaation that makes you have a perfect body. But Tally doesn't want to run off to the wild. she wants to become pretty. What will happen? Will Tally run into the wild with Shay? Will Shay stay and become pretty? Read the book to find out.
posted Jul 13, 2009 at 1:57PM
Nessiecob said:
Fascinating, brilliant, deep, futuristic
posted Jun 2, 2009 at 2:52PM
lis16420 said:
Great series!! A must read, and also gets you thinking about the future...
posted Mar 30, 2009 at 11:23PM
kb4444 said:
Another dystopian world where people get an operation at the age of 16 to make themselves pretty. Tally Youngblood and her new friend Shay try to rebel against this society. This book was quite interesting and left you at the edge of your seat while reading it.
posted Mar 26, 2009 at 4:14PM
- I read this book and couldn’t put it down! It is really great. It is about a girl named Talley, her friends Peris, and Shay, as well as the Smokies she meets. It is set in the future, so it has many inventions, such as hoverboards, that we don’t have, but portrays the characters in a realistic way. The ending will surprise you.
posted Dec 6, 2008 at 12:06PM
charms09200 said:
I love this book mainly due to the fasinating take they have on human perceptions and the way to make everyone ,I love this book mainly due to the fasinating take they have on human perceptions and the way to make everyone
posted Nov 28, 2008 at 6:30PM
charms09200 said:
My friend told me to read this book. At first I wasn’t thrilled by it, but when I got into it, I simply couldn’t put it down. It is fast paced and offers a real perspective on life and how we view other people. The sequels are just as exciting. Although Shay makes me angry
posted Nov 28, 2008 at 5:26PM
emokid said:
This book was so good i had my friends read the book and they were amazed :]
posted Oct 24, 2008 at 5:26PM
Such an awesome book, I could hardly put it down. It is so well written, and the story line.. AGH, it’s awesome. The other books that follow it are: Pretties, Specials, and Extras (Extras was REALLY cool). ...READ THIS BOOK! XD
posted Oct 23, 2008 at 2:45PM
greykitten said:
I liked this series but the ending left me feeling a little empty... I would have ended it differently (Im a mostly happy ending sort of person)
posted Oct 21, 2008 at 10:14AM
Lola said:
Second favorite series next to Twilight! Great books!
posted Aug 26, 2008 at 5:33PM
Bella said:
This book is an amazingly exciting book. It is clever and action-packed. Tally Youngblood has fascinating adventures you won't want to miss!
posted Aug 7, 2008 at 1:24PM
Bella said:
posted Aug 7, 2008 at 1:24PM
malrox said:
this book is in my top 10 favorite books! It is so different from other books, and the setting is totally cool. Everyone should read Uglies!
posted Aug 3, 2008 at 8:46AM
Melissa said:
Uglies is an amazing, deep book that really makes you think, while still being funny and entertaining at the same time. It is a fast paced book that is always exciting, and keeps you hooked until the final page. I'd strongly recommend this book to anyone who loves science fiction, or anybody looking for an awesome read!
posted Jul 14, 2008 at 6:35PM
Melissa said:
posted Jul 14, 2008 at 6:35PM
love2readalliesuperg said:
This book is sooooooooooo good! I had never read si fi before and I had to for school. I read a really confusing book that was really boring so I could get one of the 2 books. Then I got a friend to recomend this book to me. It was so good! I would love to buy the whole trilogoy plus Extras!
posted Jul 13, 2008 at 10:57AM
Really great book. I liked it a lot. Couldn’t stop reading it.
posted Jul 13, 2008 at 8:31AM
chocoholic said:
Book One.
posted Jul 10, 2008 at 1:41PM
gIrLgOeSsHoPpInG said:
One of my favorite series! This is the first book. It's about a girl who lives in a world centered on a special operation everyone gets when they turn 16 that makes them "pretty". The operation is optional, but everyone gets it to not be counted an ugly outcast. But what happens when a girl refuses to get surgically altered and wants to stay the way she is and runs away? Suddenly, the operation is no longer optional.
posted Jul 5, 2008 at 11:02PM
Alyssha said:
It's a very exciting book full of action, drama, romance, and SciFi. It's a book about teens from the future that refuse to turn pretty at the age of 16 and battle against the grown-ups to save smokie
posted Jun 24, 2008 at 1:16PM
Books You Have To Read said:
At 16, everybody gets plastic surgery that makes them perfect. Well, not everybody- some people are desperate not to get the operation, and Tally wants to find out why. Soon, she meets up with a group that wants the runaways to be silenced- by death if necessary.
posted May 25, 2008 at 9:47AM
This is a great adventure trilogy! These novels take place many years after the world has recovered from being scorched by war, humans have finally advanced to technological heights that deliver what the “futuristic world” has always promised: Utopia. However, utopia comes at a cost. All children on their sixtieth birthday must undergo a massive surgery that changes them from “ugly” to beautiful. This is when they may enter society as equals. The main character, a girl on the verge of her own surgery, is caught up in a government plot to root out those that refuse to follow this doctrine. Turns out utopia isn’t as great as we all thought. I love these books! It’s hard to disagree with either side of the primary arguments. But the really excellent part of this story is how this one girl is transformed (literally) by the petty a selfish machinations of both sides. It should be made into an action flick…something like The Fifth Element. These are not only great dystopic future stories, but the most excellent ride!!
posted Mar 18, 2008 at 7:49PM
gIrLgOeSsHoPpInG said:
One of my favorite series! This is the first book. It's about a girl who lives in a world centered on a special operation everyone gets when they turn 16 that makes them "pretty". The operation is optional, but everyone gets it to not be counted an ugly outcast. But what happens when a girl refused to get surgically altered and wants to stay the way she is and runs away? Suddenly, the operation is no longer optional.
posted Feb 18, 2008 at 10:28AM
Music&acting said:
Incredibly good. I read it in one week in October of last year. I read pretties a couple weeks later, because I couldn’t get it anywhere. By the time I was on specials I found myself Begging my teacher to let us start reading over winter break. I finished it the second night of the break. I’m sorry to say extras could have been better, but don’t get me wrong it was still very good
posted Jan 5, 2008 at 1:30PM
Maria said:
The Uglies was so interesting. I had a hard time putting it down, and after reading this book I will consider giving a book a second chance before returning it unread.
posted Jul 18, 2007 at 10:29PM
Maria said:
posted Jul 18, 2007 at 10:29PM
Sarah said:
I thought this book was really great. I'm typically not into this type of book, but I really enjoyed this one. It has a great plot, and characters. I would definetly recommend it to anyone, guys or girls. Now I can't wait to read the sequals Pretties, and Specials!
posted Jul 14, 2007 at 3:08PM
Sarah said:
posted Jul 14, 2007 at 3:08PM
ggcrazed828 said:
This book was amazing! when i first heard the title it kind of turned me off, but when I got money for Christmas I decided I would try to read it and now it's one of my favorite series!! I finished the first book in one night,I couldn't put it down and the next day I was onto the Pretties and then the Specials. I CANNOT wait for the Extras to come out! =] thanks Scott for writing such a great series!!
posted Jun 8, 2007 at 1:54PM
Belle said:
This is the best book ever!!! Its my favorite book, I didn’t think I would like it very much, but my friend forced me to read it and I’m so glad I did!!! I finished it in one day and I’m started on Pretties!!!
posted Oct 4, 2006 at 3:34PM
Christina said:
In a city obsessed with beauty, where normal=ugly, where life ceases to exsist until the age of 16 there lives a girl named Tally. When tally turns sixteen she will have a sugery that makes her beautiful like everyone else above the age 16. Tall's best friend has just done so, but when Tally makes a new friend named Shay, everthing seems pefect. Until Shay tells Tally her plans to run away. Of course the police find out and call Tally down, when they blackmail her to betray Shay or never be beautiful, Tally finds a truth that she would have never known. This book taught me that beauty isn't everything. I would recommend this book to everyone!
posted Oct 15, 2005
Emily said:
This was one of the best books i have ever read!!!!!! I think it took place in the future. I really liked it because it made me think. In the book everyone is ugly until they turn sixteen. When they turn sixteen they have an operation that make them pretty. I am not going to tell you anymore so i don,t ruin it for you. Everyone should definatly read it!!!
posted Aug 30, 2005