home > bookspace > my comments > comment:

Every time I see this book, I am reminded, that unfortunately, this author is dead.
posted Oct 17, 2012 at 5:03PM
Let's face it, anything Diana Wynne Jones writes, is amazing.
posted May 28, 2012 at 4:26PM
This book is so different from any book I ever read, at first I didn’t quite know what to think. But by the time I got halfway through, I couldn’t put it down. Unlike the movie, I would highly recommend it for anyone wanting to pick up a funny, imaginative fantasy book.
posted Nov 27, 2011 at 9:06PM
I love this book! Everyone should read it. I also recommend the movie.
posted Sep 20, 2011 at 7:16PM
Aeryn said:
All right, another book by Diana Wynne Jones. Unrelated to the first (or third) of her works included in this list, it is another great read. Readers are also urged to check out the sequel, Castle in the Air, and the animated movie version by Hayao Miyazaki.
posted Jul 3, 2007 at 10:51AM
Sara Ross said:
This is really a great book, probably one of the best I’ve read by this author. However, I was somewhat confused by the ending. I read this after watching the movie, and I think that the book is definintely better.
posted Jun 27, 2006 at 10:36AM
Ted said:
As every reader of fairy tales knows, the oldest child never achieves anything of note. So Sophie, our hero, settles herself down early in the book to a life of boredom and solitude. But as every reader of fairy tales also knows, this is the very thing that sends her on a journey through wild transformations and even wilder places. Jones' whimsical creations never fail to delight, but the book leaves some dangling plot elements and never really explains everything in the end.