home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the golden compass /
The golden compass
Philip Pullman
Teen Fiction PULLMAN

Comments  Summary  Contents  Excerpt  Reviews  Author Notes

Can I admit something? At first, I thought this must be a formula-made paranormal fiction, because they made it into a movie, but really, it's not. I tried to hate it, but I got swept up in the immense awesummness of the story.
posted Dec 6, 2012 at 4:40PM
This book was my favorite! There are two more in the series but I just REALLY liked this one:)
posted Aug 11, 2012 at 11:55AM
This is the first book of the His Dark Materials Trilogy. It was also made into a movie by the same name. All-over I liked the book, but I have several complaints that made it a less enjoyable read. First is the obvious fascination the author had for cutting down the Church. I can understand making people inside the Church evil, but to have the whole institution itself evil is a bit unbelievable. The characters were interesting, but they weren’t realistic and often did things out of character. The plot was an interesting idea, but there weren’t many light points in the story; most of the book was depressing. Saying that, I thought it was an interesting book worth reading once, if only to say you did.
posted Jan 17, 2012 at 5:48PM
Skip the film.
posted Nov 15, 2010 at 11:07PM
Fantastic yarn! Definitely a must read - and the complete trilogy because it gets even more sinister and harried for our protagonist, Lyra. The audio production features a full cast :) Note: If you are sympathetic towards Christianity, it would not be a recommended read.
posted Nov 1, 2010 at 11:01PM
Adri said:
A very interesting book about the Daemons. Extremely original, the first book of His Dark Materials.
posted Aug 13, 2009 at 5:23PM
Books You Have To Read said:
The beginning is slow but this book speeds up fast with poisonings, kidnappings, and robotic bugs. Nothing like the movie.
posted May 23, 2008 at 4:50PM
Tammers said:
This book is a great beginning to an amazing story. I love the fantasy mixed with real life. If you like audiobooks, you should really listen to this one. The narrator is amazing. I think it is the best audiobook I have ever listened to (it even beats out Harry Potter in some ways).
posted Mar 12, 2008 at 4:06PM
turtle said:
i heard this book was written by an atheist
posted Feb 21, 2008 at 4:49PM
readmybook! said:
i though it wold be bad also so yea jjust read it its pretty good
posted Nov 20, 2007 at 3:12PM
WestEM said:
Representative of the whole trilogy.
posted Feb 22, 2007 at 1:29PM
Jenea said:
I thought this was an excellent read. I love it so much that when I am unable to actually read the book, like when I'm working out, I love to listen to it on CD. It has everything: adventure, action, ghost stories, a love story, and comedy. Lyra is as wonderful a storyteller as Pullman, telling wondrous stories of her 'parents' and her 'life'. They way she can become the leader in any situation and will stand up to her fears to accomplish a task that could change the course of the future. There is never a dull moment in this book as she leaves her home in Oxford to look for a friend. She makes many new friends and many startling discoveries about the Church, her parents, and herself.
posted Oct 28, 2006 at 10:10PM
Katie said:
This book is very interesting. Philp Pullman brings you into the story. I could hardly put it down. If you enjoy this book, try reading the other books in this series.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Benjamin said:
This is a really cool book about creatures that share thoughts and feeling of humans. Someone is trying to separat them. Laya has got to go and help them. She has to go through many danger in her exciting adventure. READ THIS BOOK!!! [Series: His Dark Adventures #1]
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Amy said:
This book is absolutely fantastic. At first I didn't know about it because it looked boring and it looked like a little too much fantasy. The first chapter I thought was a little hard to understand but of course it gets much easier as you go on. This is about a girl named Lyra, her parents are dead and she lives at a college. Everything is fine until the "gobblers" come. They are known to kidnap children. One day a lady named Mrs. Coulier comes to take Lyra to live with her. On that day the headmaster of the college gives Lyra an alethiometer. Everything is very confusing for Lyra until she finds what she wants to do, save her friend from the gobblers. She meets many friends along the way in the great adventure.
posted Jan 21, 2005
Kevin said:
Really cool book! Love the scene where the bears fight. It is deeper than most fantasy books. [Series: His Dark Materials #1]
posted Dec 21, 2004
Gina said:
This book is so good. It is a very slow read though, so hav lots of time. It is the 1st in a trilogy, and it leaves you hanging and desperate to find out what happens next, so be ready to read The Subtle Knife!!!
posted Jun 1, 2004
Maddie said:
I Thought this book was intresting but at times, hard to follow. It is a Science-Fiction story of a girl who is lost, but finds out why? [Trilogy: His Dark Materials #1]
Maren said:
I thought this was one of the most original and exciting books I've ever read. You HAVE to make room on your bookshelf for this! [Series: His Dark Materials #1]