home > bookspace > my comments > comment: gone girl : a novel /
Gone girl : a novel
Gillian Flynn
Adult Fiction FLYNN

On the day of their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy disappears. There are signs of struggle in the house and Nick quickly becomes the prime suspect. It doesn't help that Nick hasn't been completely honest with the police and, as Amy's case drags more and more evidence appears against him. Nick, however, maintains his innocence. The novel is told alternating points of view between Nick and Amy. In addition, an annual anniversary treasure hunt put together by Amy before her disappearance, pulls Nick into directions he never expected. As revelation after revelation unfolds, the truth is far darker, more twisted, and creepier than one can imagine. I loved this book. I was taken by surprise (which doesn’t happen to me often) by the many twists and turns and totally surprising developments. I can’t say I was happy by the ending— but it did make sense with these characters. 4 ½ out of 5 stars.
posted Nov 20, 2013 at 3:43PM
Absolutely fantastic book - highly recommend it. Plenty of twists and turns, and great character development. Those easily offended should probably stay clear though, as there are some rougher elements to the book.
posted Nov 29, 2012 at 11:17PM
mplsgrrl said:
I disagree! I didn’t enjoy this title as much as her earlier titles...try them!
posted Aug 24, 2012 at 10:04AM
This book definitely lives up to the hype. The superlatives you’ve heard about it are deserved. I can’t write about the plot of the book without giving things away but besides the plot this is good writing. Darkly funny, funnily dark, characters you think you know…until you don’t. What really happens in a marriage? Flynn seems to be saying that we become different people than who we really are in order to live up to our mate’s expectations. It’s only later in the marriage that we become our true selves. However, apparently some marriage partners won’t allow this to happen. Though Amy says, “there is no such thing as ‘cool girl’”, the girl every man’s fantasizes about, she won’t allow Nick to become himself and insists he be “loving Nick” like when they first got married. Also, Flynn seems to say that our parents make us entirely who we are. Nick is nice and nurturing like his mother yet harbors a hatred or fear of women from his father. Amy, whose parents are psychologists and authors of a book series where the female protagonist is perfect, is an incredible student of human behavior and compulsively perfect. Ultimately, after reading the book you have to ask yourself. Who am I more like: Nick or Amy? If that question doesn’t keep you wide, staring awake at night I’d be surprised.
posted Aug 13, 2012 at 1:57PM
This is the most well-written thriller-type book I’ve read in a long time--as soon as I finished, even knowing how all of the twists and turns had worked out, I started reading it a second time to watch it happen again. Last summer’s similarly-hyped books, Before I Go To Sleep and Turn Of Mind, pale hugely in comparison. Gone Girl is probably more comparable to The Secret History or Mr. Peanut, though I ultimately liked it better than those and it’s a much less challenging, though no less well-composed, read. Great beach read, great weekend read, pure addictive fun you gulp down like cold water, one I can recommend equally to those who keep to bestseller lists and those who prefer ’literary’ fiction. I’ve heard the audiobook is excellent, too. So fun!
posted Aug 11, 2012 at 8:15AM
AnneCP said:
I’ve been telling everyone about this book! One of the most engaging books I’ve read in years.
posted Aug 1, 2012 at 12:18PM
carmellatripp said:
this was a really great read. lots of twists and suspense... diabolical
posted Jun 25, 2012 at 10:02AM