home > bookspace > my comments > comment: holes /
Holes
Louis Sachar
Teen Fiction SACHAR

Stanley Yelnats the Third is in trouble and it's all the fault of his no-good, pig-stealing great-great grandfather. He has to dig holes in the desert for "his character" for stealing shoes that fell out of the sky. Also, this story involves gypsy curses, Kissing Kate Barlow, and stinky sneakers. Confused? Any plot synopsis would be confusing, but the book itself is one of those rare, but fantastic books that combines lots of plot elements together in a way that is facsinating, unexpected, and tight. No detail is actually wasted, the characters and the story suck you right in, and the ending is emotionally satisfying. Great for children, or the child-at-heart.
posted Jul 12, 2014 at 1:11PM
Avatar for Brookdale Library Staff Brookdale Library Staff said:
Grade 6 and up. Middle school student Stanley Yelnats is the latest in a long history of Yelnats to have horrible luck. Stanley's inherited misfortune leaves him wrongly accused and serving a sentence in a juvinile detention center. Comical, heart-warming, and realistic this story will have you asking for more.
posted Aug 7, 2013 at 7:16PM
writerbot1000 said:
This book is great for many ages and reading levels. Everything ties up well including the mysterious shoe that falls onto Stanley’s head, his chain of bad luck that stretches back to his great ancestors, and why camp green lake, isn’t really green and doesn’t really have a lake. I recommend reading this book.
posted Jun 10, 2013 at 6:24PM
Mya said:
This is a VERY well written book. Louis Sachar wrote this book with lots and lots of details, things going on, and like 3 different time periods that you'll jump back to. AMAZING BOOK.
posted Apr 11, 2013 at 7:48AM
Good book, and If you like this book I am sure that you will also like both the Harry Potter series and the Percy Jackson series. This is good book for anyone who likes Avi, because this book relates to the Avi series so well. If you have read this book I am sure that you will like Avi and Harry Potter and Percy Jackson books too. The one thing that I did not really think that was realistic was the curse on the main persons family, but overall I liked this book!!! You should definitely read it if you haven’t, and the movie isn’t as bad as it sounds. I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars, because of some of the unrealistic parts. But otherwise it is a good book!!! You should read it if you haven’t, because it is bound to entertain you for hours. It is definitely worth the money it costs!!!
posted Mar 17, 2013 at 6:31PM
Emma said:
I recommend Holes by Louis Sachar. This book is a great book because it has a lot of action. You will love this book!
posted Mar 13, 2013 at 10:31AM
Emma said:
posted Mar 13, 2013 at 10:31AM
Mya Sullivan said:
Holes was a very exciting and sometimes unexpected book. Stanley is a very interesting character and I definitely recommend this author. I really liked how he went back tho the past and from story to story, there was a lot going on but he explained almost everything you need to know about what is going on.
posted Jul 18, 2012 at 1:47PM
Motasem said:
This is one of my favorite books ever. I watched the movie when I was younger and finally decided to read the book, and found that the book is much better than the movie! It is just fun to imagine the dialog, instead of watching it. I highly recommend to read this book instead of watching the movie, it is so much more enjoyable and fun. Also, Louis Sachar is an amazing author. Anyone will love this book!
posted Jun 18, 2012 at 6:59PM
alexandra said:
i think its a fantastic book.everyone should read it.it really makes a mix of emotions,sometimes sad and sometimes happy.
posted Jun 13, 2012 at 3:35PM
Heba said:
Every year I read this book to a couple of kids I babysit, and they love it as much as I do. I absolutely love, love this book, it is my all time favorite! The geniuses author Louis Sachar is a incredible; I think he definitely beat the movie making of the book! If you still haven't read the book, you have to try it. Dont base it on the movie; saying, "nah,I already watched the movie," NO, the book is so much better!!
posted Jun 5, 2011 at 9:01PM
Heba said:
posted Jun 5, 2011 at 9:01PM
William Halvorson said:
Terrific!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the best books I ever read. A boy named Stanley Yelnats goes to camp green lake even though there's no real lake. Two camp commishiners are looking for an ancient treasure and they make them dig holes to look for the treasure. One of them went up to Gods thumb Stanley goes looking for him and gets caught with yellow spotted lizards. Read the rest to find out!
posted Jan 26, 2011 at 7:18PM
probablynarnia said:
I loved the flashbacks to 100 years ago, but I read this during my pioneer phase (before the survivor phase, after the midieval phase.) Unique, but excellent.
posted Sep 23, 2010 at 10:30PM
octavio said:
its really cool read it
posted Sep 19, 2010 at 4:18PM
octavio said:
its really hard for them
posted Aug 24, 2010 at 2:08PM
octavio said:
stanley didnt do any thing and he still got punished for it thats just sad
posted Jul 28, 2010 at 10:59AM
octavio said:
it was really cool reading this book cause it shows how teens steel and thay have to dig holes so they can now not to do it again
posted Jul 9, 2010 at 3:42PM
octavio said:
this teens have to work day by day its just sad seeing that but thay have to learn their lesson
posted Jul 7, 2010 at 4:52PM
octavio said:
that was cool when they found gods finger and were drinking water and eating this thing i fuerget what is was called so yea
posted Jul 7, 2010 at 4:49PM
octavio said:
IT WAS REALLY COOL
posted Jul 6, 2010 at 12:38PM
octavio said:
its a great book i liked how they made them dig holes
posted Jun 21, 2010 at 3:35PM
Saurav said:
I really liked this book and thought it was so good that I finished it in one day. My favorite part was when The Caveman was trying to escape the camp. I recomed this book to any one who like digging.
posted Jun 11, 2010 at 12:16PM
Heba said:
Its an old book but I love it. Its about a camp when you're bad you dig holes. A boy named Stanley Yelnats got blamed for stealing a pair of a basketball player shoes, so as punishment got sent to the camp to do nothing but dig. Its a fun book for everyone so if you haven't read it yet, you should try it!
posted Oct 16, 2009 at 11:20AM
Heba said:
posted Oct 16, 2009 at 11:20AM
Stanley Yelnats has inherited his curse of bad luck from generations of Yelnats who came before him. A perpetually down-on-his-luck kid even on a good day, Stanley is really in for it now. Wrongfully convicted of stealing a baseball star’s sneakers, Stanley is sentenced to a six-month stint at Camp Green Lake, a juvenile detention camp for wayward boys. But there is no lake at Camp Green Lake. Instead there’s the Warden, a fearsome female who forces the boys to dig holes, five feet wide and five feet deep, in the ground where the lake used to be. When one of the other inmates, a boy named Zero, finally decides he’s had enough and runs off into the Texas desert, Stanley rises to the occasion for the first time in his life and set off to help. Along the way, the boys uncover the mysteries of Camp Green Lake—mysteries that include old-time Western bandits, Stanley’s pig-stealing great-great-grandfather, and buried treasure. Using cleverly-timed flashbacks and a wide array of quirky characters, author Louis Sachar unfolds this delightful tall tale that celebrates the plight of the underdog. With good guys and villains galore and a dorky boy to cheer for, Holes is a good old-fashioned adventure story.
posted Jun 26, 2009 at 3:50PM
Mohammed said:
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was about five teenage boys that have all been sent to camp as punishment in the blazing hot sun for one reason only: to dig holes. I would recommend this book to everyone!
posted Jun 20, 2009 at 8:00PM
Mohammed said:
posted Jun 20, 2009 at 8:00PM
Mustafa said:
I thought that this book was a great adventure. The author, Louis Sachar is a very good writer. I really liked the characters in the book. My favorite character is zero, because i like his personality. This still is, and always will be one of my favorite books.
posted Jun 18, 2009 at 1:44PM
Mustafa said:
posted Jun 18, 2009 at 1:44PM
I like this book. I recommend it to everyone.
posted Oct 7, 2008 at 8:03PM
Leah said:
I love love love this book! It is written so well and i love how it comes together so well! I also think its really funny and I like the boys' camp nicknames.
posted Jun 24, 2008 at 1:17PM
Leah said:
posted Jun 24, 2008 at 1:17PM
Mustafa said:
I thought this book had really funny humor. All the boys in the camp have hilarious nicknames. I liked the way the author wrote this story. This book is great!
posted Jun 23, 2008 at 9:58PM
Mustafa said:
posted Jun 23, 2008 at 9:58PM
Remo said:
This book is about a boy named Stanley Yelnats who accidentally steals a pair of shoes and has to go to a camp called Camp Green Lake where they have to dig holes to build character. He meets some boys there and they all have nicknames. Stanley is nicknamed Caveman, and he makes best friends with Hector Zeroni, who everyone calls Zero. But Stanley finds out that the boys are digging holes not just to build character, but the Warden is making the boys dig holes because she is searching for the long lost treasure of Stanley’s great-great-grandfather, Elya Yelnats. When the Warden gets meaner, Zero and Stanley run away from camp. They return after about a week later, and at night start digging for the treasure. They finally find it. This is a great book, which has won the John Newbery medal. My favorite part is when Zero and Caveman run away from Camp Green Lake and climb "God's Thumb".
posted May 26, 2008 at 1:29PM
Fun, interesting, a great plot, and a fairy-tale feel make this book a wonderful read! I have read it so many times!
posted Apr 5, 2008 at 7:31PM
posted Apr 5, 2008 at 7:09PM
Fox said:
It is a very good book. It's about a kid who got mistaken by the police for stealing a famous baseball players shoes. So he had to go to a camp for shoes falling out of the sky and being mistaken for stealing shoes.
posted Jan 2, 2008 at 1:48PM
Heba said:
This book just never gets old. The book is much better then the movie. It's about a boy named Stanly, got mistaken for stealing famous basketball shoes. For punishment he got sent to a camp when you dig holes. This book is definitely one of my favorites. It's great book if, you're looking for something to read.
posted Jun 13, 2007 at 10:04PM
Heba said:
posted Jun 13, 2007 at 10:04PM
Heba said:
This book is about a boy named Stanley that gets blamed for a crime he didn't commit, and for punishment they sent him to camp. It wasn't any normal camp; this camp is the worst camp you can imagine: Camp Green Lake. All you do is dig holes all day. It may sound like no big deal. Though, they wern't little holes you dig at the beach. They had to be 8 feet wide and 8 feet deep! Poor old Stanly went to this camp for doing absolutly nothing! If you liked the movie, your sure to like this book as well!
posted Jun 7, 2006 at 10:33PM
Heba said:
posted Jun 7, 2006 at 10:33PM
samantha said:
i think any age would enjoy this book. it has it's funny parts but at sometimes its normal and when zero hits the consler i know kids who really enjoyed that. it was a really good book and i hope that everyone enjoys it.
Nic said:
This book is great if you like irony, adventure, and mystery. this book is great for 1st grade through 5th.
Kate said:
I liked when they switched stories & when
Matt said:
I really liked this book. I read it twice. My favorite part was when Zero ran away from camp and up until they found the treasure. I read the book before I saw the movie. The movie helped me understand the book a little more. I read the book the second time after I saw the movie. [Newbery Medal Winner -1999]
Patrick said:
It was good Yo.I love it. I liked Zero.
Daniel said:
This is a great book for anyone who likes adventure. Stanly (the main character)Got convicted of a stolen pair of shoes and is sent to Camp Green Lake (a camp for bad boys)Stanly runs away from camp, into the vast desert to go find his friend Zero. Will he survive?
Denae said:
This book is awesome! I love it! I love how it goes from the present to the past and back and forth. It's a great story!
Alex said:
I think holes is the best book i have ever read. If you want too read a great book you should try reading holes. Holes will make you want too read lots more books.
Benjamin said:
Read this exciting book about an unfairly acused teenager. He has to serve his punishment in a hot dry desert in Texas. There he must dig a hole every day. Read this book to unravel a exciting mystery.
Logan said:
A very good books about Juvenile Delinquints. There told that if they dig holes they become good boys.
Emily said:
It is a great book!! It is about a boy that got in truble so he got a chose to go to jail or this camp. You will have to find out what happenes!!
mitchell said:
HJerryKaLois
Taylor said:
Stanley Yelnats is accused of stealing Clyde Livingtson's shoes, and is forced to go to Camp Green Lake,where he has to dig a hole every day. He meets a new friend, and goes searching for some treasure. Will he find it? Read the book to find out!!
Samuel said:
It was good.It was good.It was good It was good It was good.Itwas good.It was Good.It was good.
Justin said:
I thought this book was great. It had a lot of action in the book, and the characters were all fun to read about. I'm glad Stanley was rescued in the end.
matt said:
I like the Part where Stanley has to go to Camp Green lake and dig up a lot of holes, and meets new friends. Also in the book it tells you his first name is his last name spelt backwards. I think Louis Sachar is a very good author.
Erin said:
I loved this book because it really fueled my imagination this book is the best book I have ever read! I recomend it for all kids.
Katie said:
This book is awesome!!!!! Why is it called Holes? Well find out and read this book. I reccomend this to anybody! [Newbery Medal Winner]
Jessica said:
this was a very good book about an inisent boy
Austin said:
I like the part when Stanly drove the truck in to a hole it was very funy.
Avery said:
Great Novel that catches your attention. You will not want to put this book down.
Ben said:
I like the characters and how yellow spotted lizards crawl over the treasure and Zero and Stanley. You might cry at some point but the best part is figuring out what the characters look like. It can be confusing at times but once you get into the25th chapter its not that confusing. It has 50 chapters but they are not that long. I would recomend it to everybody.
Addison said:
I think that Holes is one of the best books I have ever read!!! This book is like Artemis Fowl and Harry Potter in a whole new dimention. I recomend this book for ages 8-14. [Newbery Medal Winner]
Emily said:
It is a verygood book. The main characters are Stanely and Zero. He was sent to Camp Green Lake because people think he stole a famous baseball players shoes. Then when he gets to Camp Green Lake ther is no Lake. When he gets there he has to dig holes because if they dig holes the boys that dig holes become good boys.
Emily said:
You won't be able to put this book down. It is about a kid who is blamed for stealing a famuos ahletes shoes when he didn't and must go to a work camp. he learns a little bit about his past.
Cindy said:
I really like this book, because I liked the connection between Zero (Hector Zeroni), and Caveman (Stanley Yelnats), how Caveman carried the great-great-great grandson of Madame Zeroni, and that Caveman was the great-great-great grandson of Elya Yelnats!
Josh said:
After you start reading this book, you will not want to stop reading the book. This is one of my favorite books I've read because seeing the movie is like the same thing exept the book is more fun to read. The person somewhere in the book might put this down but I didn't put this one book down. [Newbery Medal Winner]
Mary said:
This book is about a boy camp for boys that didn't want to go to prison. He has many adventures there. Ireally enjoyed this book, I think you will too!
Logan said:
The book is about 6 boys who go to a juvenile camp. They figure out that there not there to build charachter but to find treasure. Very good adventure book.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
It is about a boy named Stanley Yelnas, who has to go to a bad camp, Camp Greenlake, because he gets hit by some shoes and it looks like he stole them. They were a famous basketball player's shoes. Then he meats friends there such as Zero!
Paige said:
this book is about a boy named Stanly and hes very unlucky. he gets sent to a Camp called camp green lake. because of someting that happened to him in the end he becomes lucky. he meetas some pretty weird friends but out of all of them zeros became his best friend.
taylor said:
this is a book obout a kid who goes to camp because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Audrey said:
This book is one of the greatest books i have ever read. It just takes you away right into the story. Alot of stories start off slow pace but this one dosn't. It starts off really fast.
Bridget said:
It is about this boy named Stanley Yelnats and he gets sent 2 juvenile dention camp. He digs holes there. His fammily is also under a curse so his destiny is a pair- of shoes.
Grace said:
It is a good book and gives LOTS of cool details. It is about someone who goes to a camp. It is such a good book you should read it!!!!!!!
posted May 7, 2006 at 7:24PM
Andrew said:
It is a very interesting book! Very entertaining!
posted Jul 29, 2005 at 8:24PM
Heba said:
This book was one of my favorites. It made me feel sorry for certain characters. Stanley, the main character gets blamed for stealing famous basketball shoes, but he really didn't. So he gets sent to camp for punishment, where your required to dig holes six feet deep and six feet wide. It's not only him there; there's other boys that got sent for punishment as well. I'd recommend this book to anyone!
posted Jul 27, 2005
Terrence said:
I thought this book was good and interesting and very thought provoking. It was a little bit weird though.
posted Feb 20, 2005 at 3:11PM
britta said:
i really enjoyed this book. i like how i really think that somthing is going to happen but instead somthing really random just pops up! its really nice tonot have seen the mocie before the book because otherwise i would have been waiting for certainthings to happen! i defffenetly will give this book a five out of five
posted Jul 31, 2004 at 11:53AM
Sarah said:
This book was way better than i thought it would be. It really is one of my favorite books.
Akbar said:
I think that Holes is a very good book. I really enjoyed the story line and had fun reading the book. If there is one book that I had to reccomend to anyone even if you're a child or a teen, you will definately enjoy this book.
Holly said:
It is a great book because i have never ever read a book like it. The author is great at describing each detail so it is as if you were there. It is a very exciting book also. You can't suspect the ending.
Jessica said:
I thought Holes was a very interesting book because it all kind of came together at the end. In the beginning of the book and the middle of the book, it seemed confusing, but in the end, it all came together nicely.
Kerrie said:
It was a great book! I couldnt put it down! I movie was great too! Louis is a great author! I recomend everyone read this book!
Sara said:
I thoght it was very interesting and aventurous