home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the phantom tollbooth /
The phantom tollbooth
Norton Juster
Children's Fiction JUSTER

Comments  Summary  Excerpt  Author Notes

Another boy-rescues-the-princesses story, but in this one the princesses are Rhyme and Reason. This book uses wordplay literally and you'd better hold on for the ride. Now, every time I think of the word din, I remember the terrible DYNNE.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 4:44PM
An oldie but a goodie. Gets your imagination flowing in a way that Alice in Wonderland does - there's so many things you'd never think of.
posted Aug 28, 2012 at 4:24PM
i like this book
posted Jul 27, 2012 at 3:35PM
Elrock13 said:
I LOVE this book!
posted Jun 8, 2012 at 3:17PM
Ted's Review said:
When I was a kid, this was my all time, #1 favorite book. When I had kids, I HAD to get this book and read it to them. You know what? I STILL love this book -- and so did they. So if you are somewhere between 5 and 105, I would recommend this book. It’s fantastic!
posted Nov 10, 2010 at 9:24PM
amoeba said:
bit of a random adventure, just fun to read
posted Aug 23, 2010 at 11:40PM
Mustafa said:
This is one of my favorites! It's about a boy named Milo who was very bored one day and received a mysterious package which was a tollbooth and travels to the mystical and mythical lands beyond. Read this book!
posted Jun 27, 2009 at 5:19PM
Mustafa said:
posted Jun 27, 2009 at 5:19PM
Surtsey said:
An "Alice in Wonderland" type of story for people who love to play with language.
posted Apr 28, 2007 at 10:44PM
Inshehar K. said:
This book is absolutely my all time favorite. It’s about a boy who gets a time machine. He goes in and he lands in two different worlds: a world of numbers and a world of the alphabet. He meets talking letters and numbers that are always in a conflict of which is more important: numbers and mathematics or the alphabet and reading. So which is more important? He has to decide between them to complete his journey through the time machine. I recommend this book to anyone looking for an adventurous read!
posted Feb 26, 2007 at 10:47PM
graulak said:
The phantom tollbooth is about a boy named milo who can never have any fun and is always extreamely boerd then one day a mysterious tollbooth is delivered to his house and he desides to play with it and as soon as he goes through the tollbooth he is trans ported to the kingdom of wizdom, the city of words king alzatraz the king of wisdom is haveing a fight with his brother the mathmagition. so big a fight it might destroy the world!!! (well the one inside the toolbooth anyway) and its up to milo to travel with the humbug, a very unpleasent man and tock a watchdog who’s name is mistaken with his brothers, it is up to them to travel through all kinds of lands meat new people and learn the importance of numbers and words and to rescue ryme and reason the only people that can stop the fighting between the two kingdoms..
posted Jun 5, 2006 at 8:26PM