home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the witches /
The witches
Roald Dahl
Children's Fiction DAHL

Comments  Summary  Author Notes

Did you know that witches are everywhere? And they like to turn people into mice? Man, you're probably drowning in Roald Dahl by now. I need to stop.
posted Nov 16, 2012 at 4:38PM
Avatar for becomethecatalyst becomethecatalyst said:
I Actually saw the movie before I read the book, however the book of course is even better, Roald dahl Again had outdone himself in writing yet another wonderful book.
posted Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10PM
Beloved author Roald Dahl possessed the delightful ability to write children’s books that his readers never outgrow. Maybe it’s because of his dark, quirky comic timing. Maybe it’s because he treats his readers with respect, intelligence, and good humor. Maybe it’s simply because he’s a storyteller of the highest order who infuses his books with whimsical charm, irresistible heroes and villains, and loads of magic and wonder. Plus, Roald Dahl has an extraordinary imagination. The Witches is one of his best. A boy and his impressive Norwegian grandmother are vacationing at a glamorous hotel. The boy leads a wondrous life—thanks to grandma’s unconventional theories of childrearing, he can explore all he wants, rarely has to bathe, and knows everything there is to know about witches. The cigar-smoking, wise-as-an-owl grandmother is an expert on witches. She knows they find children by smell (hence the benefits of remaining unwashed). She knows they’re bald and wear itchy wigs. She knows they disguise their curvy claws and square feet in long gloves and pointy shoes. She knows they’re foul, wicked creatures whose goal is to rid the world of little children. But all this knowledge does little good when the Grand High Witch of the World and her coven take a vacation at the very same hotel. Our intrepid little boy hero overhears the witches’ diabolical plan, but he is caught, teased, tormented, and finally turned into a mouse before he has even a chance to think about doing anything to stop them. Now, how can a tiny little mouse and an ancient grandmother stop the world’s most powerful witches? The evil-in-our-midst plot makes The Witches scary, the intimate and direct voice of the little critter narrator makes it charming, and the twists and turns with witchy mythology make it fun fun fun. You simply cannot read The Witches too many times.
posted Feb 19, 2010 at 6:55PM
Mustafa said:
This book was first published in 1983, its a really old book. I just finished reading it, and I really liked it. As the title says its all about witches and ghouls, all these creatures. I think anyone would like this book as much as I did.
posted Oct 30, 2009 at 10:20AM
Mustafa said:
posted Oct 30, 2009 at 10:20AM
There’s a wonderful children’s movie by the same title. The cast members include Sarah Jessica Parker and Bette Midler. I highly recommend it!!!
posted Feb 17, 2009 at 8:54AM
Rgirl said:
Don’t read it !!!!!It’s BBBOOORRRIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!!!
posted Apr 10, 2008 at 5:06PM
Matthew said:
I like this book a lot. But I don't like the fact that the witches in this story cook up plans to kill children! What The Witches is about a boy who's parents have died and he now lives with his grandmamma in Norway. He was born in England. His grandmammma tells him everything about witches and how to spot them. But then the little boy comes face to face with the grand high witch of the world! If you would like to give more information than read The Witches!
posted May 18, 2007 at 8:06AM
Matthew said:
posted May 18, 2007 at 8:06AM
Anime said:
One of the BEST Roald has ever written. Also what a funny ending (in a way...) Read this book, I like the part when the witches turn into rats! OPS :)
posted Feb 18, 2007 at 9:40PM
Erin said:
I really like this book because it was very hard to put down while I was reaading it. I liked it also because Roland Dalh is the best Athur in the whole wide world! I have read every onr of his books that he has written. The Books are that good!!!
posted Oct 11, 2006 at 10:46AM
Erin said:
posted Oct 11, 2006 at 10:46AM
kayla said:
it's about a little boy who is living with his grandma beuase she knows stuff about the witches that are in there country and she has to try to tell him not to go to the hall of the dead but he dose and the leader witch turns the little bot into a mouse
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Sophia said:
It wasd about a boy whose grandmother told him how to spot witches. It comes in handy when he accidentaly stumbles upon a witch council meeting. He finds out all there secrets but is turned into a mouse. he still manages to arriv safly home. hHe helps to destroy all the witches in that certain meeting and has a plan to destroy the rest.
posted May 9, 2006 at 11:08AM
Megan said:
I think that this was a good book and I loved reading it. It is about a little boy who loves mice. In fact he has two of them. Thier names are Williem and Mary I think. They are both white mice and they are very clever. Somehow at the end of the book the boy turns into a mouse. Read the book to find out how.
posted Jun 24, 2005 at 2:33PM
Daphne said:
The Witches is about a group of witches trying to get rid of all the kids of the world because they smell like dogs' dropping. They have an annual meeting each year. Then one day, a boy accidentally got trapped in one of the witches' meeting and gets turned into a mouse along with another boy. This is a story about how the people are going to get rid of the witches.
posted Jun 7, 2005 at 7:55PM
Kaitlyn said:
I think think this book was very exsiting and suspenesful. This book was also had alot of different felling on one page. The end was the best part of the book.
posted Nov 19, 2004 at 10:04AM
Hannah said:
It was a Great book and a real Page Turner! It was a very Detailed story and at the same time you where always wanting to see what was going to happen next. And it's Defintley for all ages. My Grandma read it and said it was very close to the top of her list.
posted Jun 10, 2004 at 8:22PM