home > bookspace > my comments > comment: a northern light /
A northern light
Jennifer Donnelly
Teen Fiction DONNELL

great girl reads said:
This is a book of a strong teenage girl who find's herself caught between her love, her family, her dream of attending college and becoming a writer and a tragic murder.
posted May 22, 2011 at 10:15AM
happysmilyfasegrl said:
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. It made me laugh, made me cry, made me smile, and made me want to be just likethe main character really bad! I recommend this book to anyone who likes historical fiction or just amazing books.
posted Apr 18, 2011 at 4:58PM
kb4444 said:
This is a very powerful "should I follow my dream?" sort of story and I enjoyed it. There is a mystery intertwined within the book which makes it interesting also.
posted Mar 27, 2009 at 3:46PM
book worm9 said:
I liked how it had a little mystery in it, but was really about a girl trying to achieve her dreams. I didn’t like the ending though. I think she should have done something the complete opposite.
posted Nov 2, 2008 at 3:52PM
river dolphin said:
One of the best books I’ve read. Great setting and story.
posted Aug 22, 2008 at 3:53PM
Hanbelle23 said:
I really liked this book. Ya it’s slower than other books, and can be a little confusing at times, but I thought it had an amazing story line and was well written. I really like the choice Mattie made in the end.
posted Jan 12, 2008 at 8:58PM
readamia said:
A story of a young woman learning what it means to follow her dreams in a society where women are meant for housework- not college.
posted Sep 28, 2007 at 8:27PM
Jo-Jo H. said:
I Think this book is so boring, I mean yes the story was good but it isn’t really fast, and for more slow paced readers. I thought it was going to be a murder mystery when it ended up being about a girl who won’t decide if she wants to go to college or not. ~Jo-Jo H.
posted Jun 26, 2006 at 8:01PM
Fleur said:
I think that the story was good, but that it wasn’t that much of a murder mystery. To me, it felt like we were learning Mattie’s backstory as she read the letters...the backstory was very good, vivid, juicy. But I feel that with reading the letters, it was a bit anticlimactic. It was kind of easy to tell what the outcome would be, and I really like the author’s style, but I feel like she could have done better.
posted Jun 24, 2006 at 4:13PM
Elizabeth said:
Even though this book is a murder mystery, it focuses on the main character, Mattie Gokey. I liked that the author wrote the book like that.
posted Jul 18, 2005
JoJo said:
I thought this was a very creative and deep story. It's about a girl who loves to write poems and wants to move to New York for college. She lives on a farm and has many siblings. Her mother died so she has to take care of things. Her father doesn't talk much since her brother ranaway. Mattie works at a hotel and a mysterious women begs her to burn a bunch of letters. A couple hours later they find her dead in a boat. Intrestingly, the man she was with was never found. Mattie must read the letters to find out what really happened.
posted Jul 6, 2005
Hannah said:
This book is about a girl named Mattie, determined to follow her dreams and go to college. But there are many obstacles along the way, and she begins to lose hope in ever going to college. This is a great book and I would recommend it to people who like historical fiction and mystery.
posted Jun 29, 2005
Brooke said:
I loved this book, about a girl in the early 1900s who has high ambitions to go to college and be a writer, but experiences conflicts when she falls in love and when she learns the truth about a tragic murder. Mattie, the 16-year old main character, loves to read more than anything, and I felt like I could relate to her so much. The book was well written and I found it so hard to put it down!
posted Jun 22, 2005
Gauri said:
I thought it was interesting, but slightly predictable. It was hard to put down and had an original plot. One thing that I found strange was that in the book, Mattie complains that everything in books always turns out ok and that isn't how life really is, but the in the book, everything ends up being alright. I found that kind of ironic. Other than that, I would reccomend this book to almost anyone.
posted May 1, 2004
Olivia said:
I thought that this book was VERY creative with how it used different word and how the character's personality was very unique.