2010 Fact Sheet
Hennepin County Library's mission is to nourish minds, transform lives and build community together.
Hennepin County Library is consistently recognized as one of the top library systems in the United States. Forty-one libraries and Outreach Services serve a diverse population of 1.2 million Hennepin County residents in an area of 611 square miles.
• More than 860,000 people have library cards and are considered active users. Almost 70 percent of Hennepin County residents have a library card and have used it within the past three years.
• There were an estimated 5.8 million in-person visits to our 41 libraries in 2010.
• In 2010, there were an estimated 19.9 million visits to the Hennepin County Library website, www.hclib.org.
• Hennepin County Library's Facebook page: 4,500 friends and counting.
• People who follow HCL on Twitter: 4,000 and counting.
• About 5 million books, CDs, DVDs, electronic resources, and other items in 40 languages are available to the public.
• Over 17.5 million items were checked out in 2010, including over 7.1 million checkouts of children’s and teen materials and over 132,000 downloads of eBooks and other content. This is 15.0 items checked out per capita.
• 135 subscription databases were accessed about 630,000 times in 2010.
• More than 865,000 reference questions were asked at libraries and online in 2010.
• There were 1,695 public computers in Hennepin County libraries in 2010.
• Library computers were accessed more than 2.9 million times by library customers in 2010.
• Outreach services were provided at 88 sites, including senior housing sites and correctional facilities throughout Hennepin County.
• Outreach liaisons assisted Hmong-, Somali- and Spanish-speaking residents.
• At Home Service reached more than 900 customers who could not go to a library due to disability, illness, or lack of transportation.
PROGRAMS, EVENTS, CLASSES
• Almost 9,800 programs were presented in 2010.
• More than 210,000 children, teens and adults attended library-sponsored programs in 2010.
• More than 2,500 adult and teen volunteers contributed almost 92,000 hours of service in 2010.
• A $69 million operating budget was approved for 2011.
• Hennepin County Library is a department of Hennepin County Government and reports to County Administration and the County Board of Commissioners.
•The Library Board is an advisory board that reports to the County Board and helps Library staff define and meet our mission.
• The Library Foundation of Hennepin County helps to ensure our libraries are thriving community centers of intellectual discovery and lifelong learning.
AWARDS IN 2010
• Awarded a National Association of Counties (NACo) award for PowerCheck Energy Meters, in collaboration with Hennepin County Property Services and Xcel Energy.
• Received Mpls/St. Paul Magazine’s 2010 "Best Book Nook" award for the children's area of Minneapolis Central.
• "Friends of Bloomington Schools" awarded to Oxboro and Penn Lake libraries as a result of the many programs offered for and in collaboration with Bloomington schools.
*NOTE: Nokomis and Northeast libraries were closed throughout 2010.
View last year's Fact Sheet