Power Check Energy MetersEasy-to-use Power Check energy meters from Xcel Energy can be checked out for three weeks from Hennepin County Library. Use the library catalog to check availability at your local library.
The energy meters can be plugged into any standard 120-volt electric appliance to measure voltage, electricity cost, and electric consumption. They come with home energy assessment instructions, worksheets, money-saving energy tips, and information about rebates and incentive programs.
The meters will help you:
- Identify high energy use appliances in your home.
- Determine how much it costs to use appliances.
- Predict your savings in reducing appliance use.
- Calculate the cost-savings of replacing older equipment with energy-efficient models.
- Identify "energy vampires" - appliances that use energy when switched off.
To get started, you can watch a video with information on using the meters.
See the Xcel Energy website for Power Check Meter instructions in English, Hmong, and Spanish.