HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
OF OCTOBER 22, 2008
The Hennepin County Library Board met Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at Ridgedale Library.
|Present: ||John Gibbs, Roger Hale, Patricia Izek, Jill Joseph, Claudia Kelly, Kathleen Lamb, David Pratt and Therese VanBlarcom|
|Hennepin County Staff: ||Bill Berg, Sharon Charles, Tonya DePriest, Judith Friedrich, Lois Lenroot-Ernt, Michael McConnell, Jodi Monson, Nancy Palmer, Allen Rezac, Chuck Salter, Char Sohlberg, Lois Langer Thompson, Marilyn Turner, Ardis Wiley and Gretchen Wronka|
|Public: ||Chris Olson and Stu Wilson|
CALL TO ORDER
President Patricia Izek called the Hennepin County Library Board meeting of Oct. 22, 2008 to order at 5:03 p.m. and welcomed attendees.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
Claudia Kelly made a motion to approve the agenda as amended which was seconded by Jill Joseph. Motion passed.
No public comment.
INTRODUCTION AND WELCOME
Hennepin County Attorney Chuck Salter who represents the library was introduced.
BOARD MEMBER REPORTS
- National Association of Counties (NACO) Award for World Language Storytimes
Youth Services and Outreach Coordinator Gretchen Wronka provided an overview of this cutting edge program that uses current research to inform best practices on how to present world language storytimes in partnership with the University of Minnesota. Storytime effectiveness and the impact on learning English and reading English as determined by the study has resulted in doing things differently. Hennepin County Library staff has shared outcomes with others by presenting what they have learned to outreach staff, members of the Latino community, Public Library Association colleagues, and at the Minnesota Education Association conference. This collaboration with the University of Minnesota was made possible through the support of the Library Foundation.
- Metropolitan Library Service Agency (MELSA) Joint Powers Agreement
MELSA Executive Director Chris Olson provided an overview MELSA and outlined changes to the Joint Powers Agreement (JPA) between the City of St. Paul and metro County libraries. Following discussion Jill Joseph made a motion to endorse the third amended and restated agreement creating MELSA, a Joint Powers Agency of the City of St. Paul and the Counties of Anoka, Carver, Dakota, Hennepin, Ramsey, Scott, and Washington which was seconded by Therese VanBlarcom. Motion passed.
Jill Joseph reported on the Plymouth Library groundbreaking held Oct. 13. She is also part of the Maple Grove Library groundbreaking committee and will inform the Board when the event is scheduled.
- Library Board Committee Appointments
President Patricia Izek provided background on the proposed committee structure as recommended by the current officers and past president was provided. Appointments for new standing committees were made by Ms. Izek. Budget & Finance Chair John Gibbs, Roger Hale and Jill Joseph; Executive Chair President Patricia Izek, Vice President Therese VanBlarcom, Secretary John Pacheco and past president John Gibbs; and Program Chair Cynthia Steinke, Holly Guncheon, Claudia Kelly and John Pacheco. Draft committee descriptions were discussed and Ms. Izek encouraged Board members to contact her with any suggestions they might have prior to the Nov. 19 Board meeting. A description of all Library Board standing and ad-hoc committees along with a chart of current and proposed committees, their membership and relationships to one another and the full board was requested.
Library Board Policy committee appointments: Chair David Pratt, Therese VanBlarcom and Kathleen Lamb. Work on priority policy updates will proceed.
Suggestions for appointments to two groups related to the Director search as identified by County Administrator Richard Johnson (applicant review and interview) were discussed and a number of questions related to the process and open meeting law will be forwarded to County Attorney Chuck Salter and Mr. Johnson for a response to the full Board prior to confirmation of the appointments.
- Recommendation to change the Nov. 19 Library Board meeting location
Roger Hale made a motion to change the location of the Nov. 19 Library Board meeting to Eden Prairie Library due to the Minneapolis Library Assoc. Conference in Bloomington which was seconded by Jill Joseph. The motion passed.
DIRECTOR'S REPORT - Ms. Thompson
- 2009 Operating Budget Request Presentation Overview - Interim Director Lois Langer Thompson
An outline of the Library's budget request before the County Board was provided by Ms. Thompson. Discussion
followed and input from the Board was provided.
- Fee & Fine Policy Revision
The Library Board policy subcommittee proposed a revision to the Fee & Fine policy as recommended by the full Board Aug. 27, 2008. The revisions refine the previously recommended policy which will be addressed at a public hearing and forwarded to the County Board for final approval. Roger Hale made a motion to approve the refined Fee & Fine Policy which was seconded by David Pratt. Following discussion of the changes the motion passed.
- As requested at the Sept. 24 Board meeting staff is researching a standard for library policies through the American Library Association and other sources. When completed, a report will be provided to the Board.
- Robert's Rules of Order Parliamentary Procedures workshop is scheduled for current officers, other Board members, officers of the Foundation and Friends and administrative staff on Thurs., Oct. 30, 4:30-6:30 p.m. at Ridgedale Library.
- The Friends of the Minneapolis Public Library membership voting to merge with the Foundation will be completed Mon., Oct. 27 and a press released with results is expected Tues., Oct. 28. Foundation Executive Director Stu Wilson answered questions from the Board related to the size and make-up of the combined board in the event of a merger.
- Capital projects update included upcoming meetings related to Nokomis and Northeast Library projects. Ms. Lamb requested a notice be sent to the Library Board to inform them when the meetings are scheduled.
Approval of the minutes of the Sept. 24, 2008 Library Board meeting and acceptance of donations were moved by Roger Hale, seconded by Jill Joseph; the motion passed.
There being no further business, John Gibbs made a motion to adjourn the Library Board meeting of Oct. 22, 2008 at 6:28 p.m. which was seconded by Jill Joseph. The motion passed. The next meeting is scheduled Nov. 19, 2008 at Eden Prairie Library.
|John Pacheco, Secretary|