Library Board Executive Committee
January 15, 2009
|Library Board Members
Patricia Izek, President
Therese VanBlarcom, Vice President
John Pacheco, Secretary
Interim Library Director
Lois Langer Thompson
Attendees: Library Board members President Patricia Izek, Vice President Therese VanBlarcom, Secretary John Pacheco,
past President John Gibbs, David Pratt, Claudia Kelly; staff Interim Library Director Lois Langer Thompson,
Teresa Jepma and Char Sohlberg
2009 Library Board Meeting Topics
Possible meeting topics were discussed by the Executive Committee.
Joint Meeting with Hennepin County Board of Commissioners
Possible formats and dates for a joint meeting with the County Board were discussed. Library staff will contact the Commissioners' office to set a date and confirm format (July or August 2009 were suggested).
Interim Library Director Lois Thompson informed Board members of travel restrictions throughout Hennepin County due to budget constraints and asked that Board travel be scrutinized in 2009. Library Board mail packets will be e-mailed instead of using the U.S. Postal service one week prior to regularly scheduled monthly meetings. Photocopied documents will be two-sided.
Hennepin County Library Director Search
President Patricia Izek noted Lois Thompson left the meeting at 4:30 p.m. as the potential exists that she may be a finalist for the Library Director position and the discussion that followed about the Library Director interview process with the Library Board would not be divulged to any potential finalists.
Human Resources Manager Teresa Jepma described the search process to date and discussion followed on the next steps for the Library Board interview process with the finalists. Possible questions were discussed which will be finalized by Library Human Resources prior to the interviews to be held at the Library Board Meeting, Wed. Jan. 28, 2009 at 5 p.m. at Ridgedale Library, Robert H. Rohlf meeting room.
· Draft meeting summary for Executive Committee approval
· Notify Board of interviews at Jan. 28, 2009 Library Board meeting and change to adjournment time (past 6:30 p.m.)
· Human Resources develops Library Director interview process for approval by Board President prior to Jan. 28, 2009
· Staff will develop a packet of information for Director finalists which provides information about the Hennepin County Library Board to be approved by Board President prior to Jan. 28, 2009 interviews
· Staff to contact Commissioners' office to find July or August 2009 date for joint County Board and Library Board meeting and will report back to Library Board Executive Committee