Library Board Program Policy Committee
May 22, 2009
|Library Board Members
Patricia Izek, President
Therese VanBlarcom, Vice President
John Pacheco, Secretary
Lois Langer Thompson
Ms. Steinke welco
congratulated Judith Friedrich who recently received an Employee Engagement award.
All 2009 Employee Recognition Program award recipients will be recognized at
· A summary of committee work to date was provided. Ms. Friedrich explained changes made to the "Customer Use of Libraries" policy draft: 1) use of the term "customer" will continue; 2) "disruptive behaviors" will be used so it is all encompassing rather stating specific behaviors. Discussion followed. Ms. Kelly made a motion to recommend approval of the draft "Customer Use of Libraries" policy to be presented to the full Library Board; seconded by Holly Guncheon. Motion passed.
· A suggestion was made to amend the fifth principle in the "Lending Policy" draft to read, "We seek to provide ease of access to desired library materials." Discussion followed. Ms. Kelly made a motion to recommend approval of the draft "Lending Policy" as amended which will be presented to the full Library Board; seconded by Holly Guncheon. Motion passed.
Steinke will follow up with Board President Izek for direction on the process
for full Library Board action. Char
Sohlberg will send committee recommended drafts to the full Board for review
prior to the
· Ms. Friedrich updated the committee on progress with the Meeting Room/Facility Use policy which is underway.
· The opening review of the Internet Public Use policy was completed. The discussion that followed included emerging issues such as social networking sites.
· Attendees agreed to move the remaining 2009 Program/Policy Committee meetings from afternoons to
Committee Procedure Discussion
Pending approval from the Board President, the following process was recommended for policy development through full Board approval:
a) committee and staff merge existing policies creating a new draft HCL policy;
b) draft policy is distributed in the Board e-mail packet to all Library Board members prior to the next monthly board meeting;
c) Chair reports to the full Board with time allotted for policy discussion at the monthly meeting;
d) following discussion, the policy is placed on the agenda as a consent at the next monthly meeting for Board action.
Board members are responsible for contacting members of the Program/Policy committee if they have questions about a draft policy.
· Staff send list of remaining scheduled committee meetings to members noting new time of
· Staff draft Internet Public Use and Meeting Room/Facility Use policies
· Staff draft meeting summary for Program/Policy Committee approval
· Staff prepare opening review of Friends & Volunteers Policy for committee review