Library Board Executive Committee
December 10, 2008
|Library Board Members
Patricia Izek, President
Therese VanBlarcom, Vice President
John Pacheco, Secretary
Interim Library Director
Lois Langer Thompson
Attendees: Library Board members President Patricia Izek, Vice President Therese VanBlarcom, Secretary John Pacheco, past President John Gibbs; staff Interim Library Director Lois Langer Thompson and Char Sohlberg
President Patricia Izek summarized the discussion at the Nov. 19 Library Board meeting. Following discussion, the Nov. 18 meeting summary, committee descriptions, and organizational chart were approved.
2009 Library Board Meeting Dates and Locations
The 2009 Library Board meeting dates and locations were finalized. The April 22, 2009 meeting will be held at Minneapolis Central Library in the Doty Board Room. Ms. Izek may also change the location of additional 2009 Library Board monthly meetings to Minneapolis Central Library in conjunction with other Library Board business meetings to be scheduled.
Hennepin County Library Board Bylaws
As noted at the Nov. 19, 2008 Library Board meeting, the amended Bylaws of the Hennepin County Library Board which adopt Robert's Rules of Order as the governing parliamentary procedure of the Library Board will be distributed.
Discussion was held on Library Director Search process. The Library Board is waiting for a reply from the County Attorney on the request made at the Nov. 19 Library Board meeting for Mr. Salter to explore options that would allow all members who wish to see the applications to do so and still comply with the open meeting law. A decision was made by the Executive Committee regarding the Library Board process for the certified candidates. The full Library Board will interview all certified candidates. The Executive Committee will meet to develop questions prior to the process. Ms. Izek will notify County Administrator Richard Johnson.
· Final meeting summary from Nov. 18 meeting will be distributed in Board mail packet of Jan. 21, 2009.
· Draft meeting summary from Dec. 10 meeting will be distributed to Library Executive Committee for their approval.
· Revised Bylaws of the Hennepin County Library Board (Nov. 19, 2008) will be distributed.
· Library staff will follow-up with County Attorney Chuck Salter re: status of request made at the Nov. 19, 2008 Library Board meeting.
· Patricia Izek will contact Mr. Johnson to inform him of the Library Board process with the certified Library Director candidates.
· Library staff will identify a County Human Resources professional to assist with developing the list of questions. The individual identified will be asked to attend the next Library Board Executive Committee meeting (January 2009 date to be determined). The agenda of that meeting will include the process for the Library Director search and the joint meeting with the County Board of Commissioners.