Library Board Program Policy Committee
September 9, 2010
|Library Board Members
Therese VanBlarcom, President
Claudia Kelly, Vice President
John Pacheco, Secretary
Lois Langer Thompson
Attendees: Library Board Committee Members: Committee Chair Claudia Kelly, Caitlin Cahill, and Holly Guncheon;
Staff Judith Friedrich, Gail Mueller Schultz, and Marilyn Zastrow
Public Comment: no comments.
· The committee reviewed and discussed the Commissioned Public Art Policy. Holly Guncheon made a motion to advance it to the full Board for a first read at the September 22nd meeting; seconded by Caitlin Cahill. Motion passed.
· Committee members reflected on last months consensus building workshop in which participants defined the ways in which the collection supports the librarys mission to nourish minds, transform lives and build community together. This work is a necessary building block for the development of a new Collection Development and Management Policy.
· The committee reviewed and discussed the following statements adopted by the American Library Association: Library Bill of Rights, Freedom to Read, and Freedom to View. These statements serve as another building block for the Collection Development and Management Policy. Caitlin Cahill made a motion to affirm the statements and advance them to the full Board for a first read at the September 22nd meeting with adoption anticipated in November, seconded by Holly Guncheon. Motion passed.
Collection development policies presentation by Collection Management Services Manager Gail Mueller Schultz
Gail discussed elements of a collection development and management policy and how collection technical services staff and library services staff uses the policy in the collection development process.
Next Steps and Action Items
· The following policies will advance to the full board as a first read at the September meeting: LB 10 Commissioned Public Art, LB 13 Library Bill of Rights, LB 6 Freedom to Read, and LB 7 Freedom to View.
· Ms. Friedrich will invite Betsy Williams to attend the October 27th meeting regarding the collection at Minneapolis Central Library
The committee meeting concluded at 5:00 p.m. Caitlin Cahill made a motion to adjourn the Program/Policy Committee meeting which was seconded by Holly Guncheon. Motion passed.