Visiting Special Collections
- Let us know you are coming. Some of our materials are in storage and must be retrieved in advance. Please call or email at least one day before you visit. When you arrive, the materials requested will be waiting for you at the Special Collections information desk.
- Contact the department to discuss your project with a librarian. We are happy to recommend materials that you may find helpful.
- No pens are allowed in Special Collections. We ask that you use only pencil while working in Special Collections. We can provide pencils.
- Digital scanners are available. Many materials can be scanned, although staff reserve the right to prohibit scanning in cases where doing so will damage the material. If you plan to use the scanner please bring a flash drive or smart phone with you. If you do not have a flash drive you can save scanned material to the desktop and email it to yourself through a web-based email account. Federal copyright law applies to scanned materials.
- Digital photography is often permissible. Most materials may be copied or photographed using a digital camera. A lighted photostand is available for use.
- A black and white copier is available. The cost is 10 cents per copy. Some fragile materials may not be able to be copied. If you would like to use the copier, please bring coins or dollar bills. We are unable to provide change. Federal copyright law applies to copied materials.
- Wifi is available. You may use a laptop in Special Collections. A limited number of outlets are available.
We look forward to your visit and to working with you!James K. Hosmer Special Collections
Hennepin County Library
Minneapolis Central Library
300 Nicollet Mall
Minneapolis, MN 55401
Please leave a message.
We try to respond within 24 hrs.
Plan your visit to Special Collections
10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday &
First and Third Saturdays of the month
|Local Historical Societies|