The newest old building in the Hennepin County Library system opened in 2003 at the Historic Grain Belt Campus. The 1893 Wagon Shed and the 1913 Millwright Shop were reused and merged with a new structure to create a warm and welcoming, state-of-the-art library. It is a lively neighborhood gathering place where people meet, read, and study.
The library and the nearby Bottineau Neighborhood are named for Pierre Bottineau (1817-1895), one of the most colorful characters in early local history. An accomplished guide, trapper, and trader, he spent the prime years of his long, active life opening up the Northwest Corridor communities of the Twin Cities metro area to settlement.
Legacy Fountain and Gardens
The Legacy Fountain in front of Pierre Bottineau Community Library is the work of a committee, headed by neighborhood resident Michael Rainville, that has raised more than $100,000 to date through monetary donations and the sale of commemorative pavers and garden benches. A $20,000 gift and an additional $20,000 challenge grant from the Graco Foundation helped the committee complete a large portion of the project's first phase. The committee continues to seek donations to dedicate additional pavers and benches, add more garden space, enlarge the fountain, and cover ongoing maintenance expenses. The landscape design was provided by RSP Architects based on the historic Grain Belt fountain that stood at the corner for many years.
· Built 1893/1913/2003 (to replace former library of the same name in rented storefront a few blocks away).
· One level; 12,400 sq. ft.; parking lot entered from Broadway.
· The Sheridan Room, a multipurpose study/meeting space; · Local history alcove · Teen Zone · Ongoing community fund drive to support the Legacy Fountain and Gardens, echoing the Grain Belt fountain that was a neighborhood landmark for many years.
· The Sheridan Room, a multipurpose study/meeting space;
· Local history alcove
· Teen Zone
· Ongoing community fund drive to support the Legacy Fountain and Gardens, echoing the Grain Belt fountain that was a neighborhood landmark for many years.