home > library information > library locations & hours > library news

Hosmer was the last of four library branches built with money donated by philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. It has the distinction of being the only Minneapolis Public Library named after a librarian: James K. Hosmer, Minneapolis Public Library director from 1892 to 1904.
 

In the lower level is the Technology Learning Center, where classes and open lab time are offered to people of all ages, with a special focus on seniors and Spanish speakers.

 

Architecture

·     Built 1916 

·     One of three existing Carnegie Libraries in Minneapolis

·     Minneapolis Historic Preservation Commission historic designation

·     1997 expansion and renovation designed by   Meyer, Scherer & Rockcastle Architects.

·     14,900 sq. ft.; parking lot entered from 3rd Ave.

 

Art 
Stained glass window by Michael Pilla, a public art project involving neighborhood children and elders.

Special Features

·     Computer training lab (established 1997)

·     Active after-school programming including Homework Hub tutoring

·     Children's area

·     Fireside reading room

·     Strong collection of DVDs and other media 

 

 

hcl mobile app
hclib
mobile
app
Facebook Twitter Tumblr YouTube Vimeo Flickr Federal Depository Library Federal
Depository
Library
Hennepin County Government Hennepin
County
Government
© 2014  Hennepin County Library12601 Ridgedale Drive, Minnetonka, MN 55305 Comments and Feedback    |    RSS