Book Club Kits
Possession: A Romance
by Byatt, A. S.
Print this page
Email this list
1. Why did Byatt choose this title for the book? What does "Possession" mean to each character in the novel?
2. Part of "Possession" takes place in the Victorian era and part in the present day. How was life similar for the characters from the different time periods? What issues did they face that were the same?
3. Freedom and autonomy are important to several of the characters. How does their belief in personal autonomy affect their actions?
4. Byatt uses poetry to provide the reader with details about what the characters are thinking and doing. What did you think of this literary technique?
5. How does Roland Michel's and Maud Bailey's relationship parallel the relationship of the poets they're researching?
6. Byatt's "Possession" has been made into a movie. If you've seen the movie, how do you think it differs from the novel?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides