Book Club Kits
by Freymann-Weyr, Garret
Print this page
Email this list
1. How well can you know the people you love? How well do Ellen, Link and James know each other and how does that change throughout the story?
2. Ellen is curious about whether James and Link are a gay couple after hearing gossip at school. One reviewer asks "when is curiosity a betrayal?" Does Ellen betray Link or James by asking about their relationship?
3. Why do Link and James have a difficult time answering Ellen when she asks about their relationship? Was it good that she asked them? Did she have a right to ask?
4. Ellen has many questions about what it means to be gay. What does she discover, and do you agree with her?
5. When it comes to keeping secrets, can you relate more to Ellen, Link or James? What role do secrets play in this book?
6. Why does Ellen miss Link now, before he has left for college? What does it mean to miss someone you see every day?
7. What do you think of Ellen's predictions for the future? Will she and Link understand each other? Will she and James reconnect?
8. What does the title of the book 'My Heartbeat' mean to you?
9. What did you think of the book's cover?