Book Club Kits
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
by Smith, Betty
Print this page
Email this list
1. How do the Nolan's view their place in the world? Do they consider themselves to be poor? How do others view them?
2. How does Johnny's death affect the family? How would their life have been different if he had lived?
3. Francie and Neely both take jobs in Manhattan. How does this change their view of the world, and what's possible for them?
4. Francie's story takes place in Brooklyn in the years before World War I. How would the story of someone growing up there today be different from Francie's? What ways would it be the same?
5. Why is education so important to Francie and her family? Do Francie and Neely value education differently?
6. Which characters did you most identify with and why?
|Additional discussion questions from:
Reading Group Guides