home > bookspace > my comments > comment: a thousand splendid suns /
A thousand splendid suns
Khaled Hosseini
Adult Fiction HOSSEIN

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

stet said:
Historical fiction following two girls growing up in Afghanistan beginning in the country’s “heyday” and continuing through the fall of the Taliban’s complete control. Another page turner that also provides an glimpse into the life of Afghan women through the years.
posted Dec 2, 2010 at 3:48PM
dilEMMA said:
I reccomend this to anyone who asks: any good books. Amazing author, amazing story. Really sad. I cried so hard.
posted Sep 21, 2008 at 5:35PM
In ATSS, Hosseini weaves together the stories of two women, Mariam and Laila. Mariam grew up in a rural hovel, the illegitimate child of a wealthy man in the city. Her lifelong dream is that her father would one day acknowledge her as his daughter. On the other side of the country, Laila lived with her progressive and erudite parents, who supported her education and had hopes of a bright future in which she could make her own choices. The Afghan Civil War dashes Laila’s dreams, but brings these two women together as they both find themselves unhappily married to the same man.

My initial impression was that the story was somewhat predictable, but the climax was pleasingly surprising. Hosseini’s works, in addition to being engaging reads, provide enthralling peeks into Afghan history.
posted Sep 15, 2008 at 6:29PM
Ted's Review said:
Hosseini is an amazing writer. He is able to transport you to a world away -- Afghanistan. Amazingly, this isn’t the world of 1890, but only a few years ago. It’s unbelievable (but true) that there are cultures that exist today that have such little regard for women. This book is captivating and very well written, but very depressing too. It can be exhasting at times, but I would still highly recommend this. If you liked The Kite Runner, you will like this too.
posted Aug 11, 2008 at 6:38PM
Yekaterina said:
Just as the author did in "The Kite Runner," Hosseini created a moving portrayal of wartorn life in Afghanistan. Contrasting with Kite Runner, this book focuses more on the relationship between women rather than men. I read it in one day, could not put it down. I expected nothing less than greatness after having read Kite Runner, and I was not dissapointed.
posted Aug 3, 2008 at 5:01PM
mstarblue said:
Wonderful book, brought me to tears.
posted Jun 24, 2008 at 10:53PM
Tap Dancer said:
This is a story well-told and a fascinating insight into the world of women in Afghanistan. I liked the pace of the story and the way the author occasionally withheld a piece of information (that made you wonder if you’d missed something), keeping you in suspense for a bit before revealing the missing fact. The characters were a little flat; I liked them but I didn’t feel with them. Except, maybe, for Mariam. The story teller remained somewhat reserved, removed even, from the horror of this story.
posted Sep 22, 2007 at 9:56AM
mb said:
I liked this book, but not as much as The Kite Runner. If you like this type of book I would recommend A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. It is a wonderful book- MB
posted Sep 5, 2007 at 7:39PM
twins+two said:
this is a must read, both from a historical and political perspective. We should have helped out the middle east a long time ago, not just for our own safety, but for the welfare of other women. Hosseini is a fabulous story teller.
posted Jun 17, 2007 at 4:41PM