home > bookspace > my comments > comment:

Orphaned, unloved, poor as a church mouse, plain of face but with an indomitable spirit, Jane Eyre and the novel that bears her name has stood the test of time and become one of the great titles of Western literature. For all that, it’s still a rousing, dramatic soap opera of a story. Jane narrators in her own unmistakable and unforgettable intimate voice; she tells the reader about her neglected childhood, painful boarding school years, and finally, about accepting a governess position at magnificently gloomy Thornfield Hall. Her new charge is a sprightly little French ward; her new master is the enigmatic and charismatic Mr. Rochester. To everyone around them, Jane and Rochester are an unlikely—if not impossible—match. But the master of the house and demure plain Jane are kindred spirits with keen intellects and complex desires. Of course there is an obstacle greater than discrepancies in social standing, age, experience, and wealth standing in the way of Jane’s happiness—a terrible secret haunts Mr. Rochester’s past and may very well have infiltrated the halls of Thornfield. Author Charlotte Brontë’s masterpiece is an atmospheric Gothic romance that was considered far too passionate and scandalous when it was first published in 1847. That emotion still comes roaring across the page today—especially Jane’s determined longing for a free and equal life, something so regularly denied to a woman like herself in her day. A love story for the ages, Jane Eyre is the governess by which all other governesses are judged.
posted Jul 6, 2010 at 10:03AM
Jane should have gone with the missionarys.
posted Dec 22, 2009 at 1:46PM
Scarbelline said:
Just read it. The story of Jane Eyre's life; her life as a child in school and her romance with Mr. Rochester.
posted Nov 8, 2009 at 5:07PM
Jude_Rosenberg said:
I read this for a book report (9th grade English). My advice is either start reading it right away or pick another book. Despite the immense pressure I had to get this read, I really enjoyed the love story and the characters in the story.
posted Jul 2, 2009 at 10:08AM
emma 01 said:
I really liked this book because it had so many surprises in it. this was one of my favorite classics. It is about a girl named Jane Eyre who grows up living in her aunt’s household. Her aunt and cousins really dislike her, so she really doesn’t have much companionship as a little girl. But when she goes to Thornfield, everything changes. I recommend this book for fast readers who like and can read really dense books.
posted Jun 19, 2009 at 11:49AM
This one almost ties with Wuthering Heights for me. In fact, sometimes I think it surpasses it, but then I read Wuthering Heights again and change my mind. Jane Eyre is a wonderfully written book. It follows the title character, an orphan disliked by almost everyone, as she tries to find someone who sees the real her and can still love her.
posted Apr 5, 2008 at 6:40PM
Lizizie said:
This classic book of Jane Eyre was a wonderful book to read. I enjoyed reading every minute about the poor girl young and old. Even when times where rough for young Jane the text was well written and always kept the reader interested...[edit for publication] an old classic that shouold still be read for generations to come.
posted Jun 19, 2007 at 12:14PM
Rissa said:
This book is one of my favorites. It has such a wonderful lesson and story. It takes a while to read, but once you get past the first 100 pages it moves faster. READ THE BOOK BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE! It is really worth it. You’ll be extremely suprised by the final ending. It switches around and keeps you guessing. It is really a great read! I reccomend it~
posted Sep 2, 2006 at 2:56PM
Fleur said:
This book is like 600 pages, and it took me about a month to get through because it moved along so slowly. I thought the twist at the end was random because everything before it had been so dull. To me it seems more like one of those books you should read rather than the kind you want to.
posted Jun 25, 2006 at 8:04PM
Emily said:
The novel 'Jane Eyre' was an excellent read, in my opinion. This unique story of Jane, an orphan turned governess, is sure to captivate you until the very end. A wonderful usage of words, and an engaging plot line filled with romance, humor, and even some angst shows why this work by Brontë is considered to be among classics. I highly recommend this novel for the next time that you are looking for something to read.
posted Nov 9, 2004
Anne said:
I thought that it was a very accurate portrayal of what Victorian life was like in the 19th century, where women were treated like less then men and simply as housewives. I think that there is also an element of intrigue and mystery throughout the book that keeps you hooked and interested. I would definitely recommend this book to everyone, because it is truly a classic novel that everyone can enjoy.
posted Oct 13, 2004
Kelsey said:
This is the most interesting book I've ever read. The twists of the plot line are completely unexpected. The dialogue is so witty, you'll find yourself wishing you were Jane and thinking up all her sly remarks! It's simply the most lovely and wonderfully interesting book, and I would reccomend it to everyone.
posted Oct 4, 2004