home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the guernsey literary and potato peel pie society /
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
Adult Fiction SHAFFER

It's 1946, WWII has ended, and Juliet Ashton is on a book tour around England for her recently published book. A surprise letter from a complete stranger from one of the Channel Islands, Guernsey, begins a friendship with the letter writer and Juliet, as well as a friendship with members of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Through this series of letters, we learn of the occupation of the island (for 5 years of the war) and the treatment of its citizens by the Germans (some god—and some terrible), the resiliency and stories of the islanders and of course the joys of reading. I would highly recommend this book. The story and its characters are charming, funny, sweet, and thoughtful. 4 ½ stars out of 5.
posted Feb 3, 2014 at 3:12PM
LDP said:
This was endearing , poignant , fun - perhaps silly at times - but I really liked it . Sorry we won't have more from Mary Ann Shaffer .
posted May 12, 2012 at 3:44PM
Westonka Winter Jackets Recommends said:
Very quick read and interesting story about occupancy in WWII. Great story. Great writing.
posted Feb 13, 2012 at 6:47PM
Molly D said:
I looked forward to picking it back up again.
posted Feb 9, 2012 at 6:05AM
stet said:
A remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation and of a culture as extraordinary as its name.
posted Dec 2, 2010 at 4:19PM
msb said:
This is a wonderful read. Light, witty writing considering the topic. The characters are captivating and this book reminded me why I love to read.
posted Jan 29, 2010 at 10:37PM
thenYES said:
I was a little nervous about reading this book, because it is written all in letters, but I absolutely loved it! It’s a quick, fun read that is filled with amazing and loveable characters and an interesting, fast-paced plot. It also touches on some of the horrors of WWII without sounding preachy or melodramatic. I was crushed when I reached the last page because I didn’t want the story to end! I’d most certainly recommend it.
posted Nov 27, 2009 at 3:59PM
It is January, 1946. Juliet is enjoying her new-found success as a writer and the return of England's freedoms now that World War II is over. Then Juliet gets a letter from a member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. Intrigued by this strange-sounding book club (who wouldn't be?) Juliet begins corresponding with its members, who founded their club during the German occupation of Guernsey Island. Guernsey's residents share their tragic and comic stories with Juliet through letters, and a witty, quirky cast of characters quickly takes over the book. Juliet becomes so involved in the lives of the Guernsey islanders that she journeys there, sharing events on the island through letters to her editor and her best friend. The book is based on years of research into the Guernsey occupation by author Mary Ann Shaffer and her devotion to this cause and her admiration for what Guernsey suffered is vividly apparent. Despite touching on many of the horrors of war, the story is ultimately light, charming, and sugary sweet. It is an uplifting and heartwarming read that shows how books bring people together.
posted Jun 16, 2009 at 11:07AM
Irishmol58 said:
I absolutely loved this book. It’s one of those books that you just want to meet each and every one of the characters and be a part of their little group. It also gives you an insight into what an occupied small island was like during WWII. Something you cannot even imagine in this lifetime. It’s a true love story too - everything I like in a book!!!
posted Jan 22, 2009 at 9:14PM
This is a book I had looked forward to reading and was glad to receive it as a gift for Christmas 2008. Many people had said many good things about this book, so I had to read it right away. This story starts about a six months after WWII ended. The main character is a 32 year old writer called Juliet who has written a book and is about to embark on a book tour through England for book signings and readings. When Juliet gets home from her tour she receives a letter from a man called Dawsey on the island of Guernsey asking her about where he can find more books about a writer they both love. He has her address from inside the cover of a book she used to own that ended up in his hands. Dawsey is a farmer and fisherman who lived through the German occupation of Guernsey for five years during the war. Juliet and Dawsey along with other great characters continue to write letters to eachother, which is how this story is told, through the letters. After learning about the the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and how it came about in a letter from Dawsey, Juliet's curiosity is peaked and she decided she needs to know more and would like to use this society for an article she is to write for the Times. These letters end up changing Juliet's life in a way she never expected. I found this book to be a very good read and at times I would forget I was reading fiction. The details of London, the island of Guernsey, the characters, things that happened during the war were so detailed and seemed so real. I couldn't put the book down after getting into it.
posted Jan 15, 2009 at 3:20PM
Eli2abeth said:
Fabulous! I truly enjoyed seeing post WWII Guernsey through the 'letters' of Juliet & the literary society.
posted Jan 3, 2009 at 8:30PM
Melinda Ludwiczak said:
I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem of a book. A quick read, the reader is transported to life during the Nazi occupation of the English Channel island Guernsey. Highly recommended for book clubs. Don’t be put off by some awkward transitions as the story transfolds via letters. This first-time author, now deceased, charms with her remarkable tale. Melinda Ludwiczak, Senior Libarrian, Hennepin County Library
posted Nov 6, 2008 at 4:18PM