home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the thief lord /
The Thief Lord
Cornelia Funke
Children's Fiction FUNKE

Comments  Summary  Reviews  Author Notes

The Thief Lord is about two orphan boys, who are brothers, whose parents died. Their mean aunt and uncle only want to adopt the youngest of the two, Bo. Prosper, the older brother, and Bo don’t want to be separated so they run away to Venice, Italy. Once in Venice they join a group of orphans/ “thieves”. The leader of the group, Scipio, calls himself the Thief Lord and, so the other orphans think, is an expert at pulling off heists. Meanwhile Prosper and Bo’s aunt and uncle have discovered the boys are in Venice and hire a detective to look for them. It’s a really good book and great for all ages. Highly recommend.
posted Mar 10, 2014 at 9:01PM
The Thief Lord is an exciting page turner about two runaway orphaned brothers who meet a mysterious boy who calls himself the Thief Lord. The brothers, Prosper and Bo, soon find themselves being tracked by a detective and they soon find themselves hunting down a forgotten treasure. For readers 11 and up. 9.5 out of 10 stars.
posted Jun 30, 2010 at 6:57PM
My dearest colleague was convinced that children's literature was taking a great dive for the worse and he was quite insistent that this book was a handmanual on how to pickpocket those around you, so I read it to prove him wrong. I ended up proving him wrong. I also ended up enjoying the book, thus the reason that I risk discovery and creep out of hiding for just long enough to review this book.
posted Jun 10, 2010 at 5:12PM
Booklover2 said:
Very mysterious, keeps you on your toes until the end.
posted Jul 10, 2009 at 9:11PM
Carrot said:
The Theif Lord is a great book for readers 10 and up, Cornelia Funke really does well this time, the book is set in Venice where two orphaned brothers run to after their parents die and they are placed under the care of their aunt, where they meet 4 other kids named Hornet, Mosca, Scipio, and Rico. The book is really descriptive and I think that it would be liked by almost all who read it. :)
posted Aug 5, 2007 at 9:44AM
dancycandy81 said:
A story of runaways and orphans who come together in Venice and support themselves by stealing and selling their pilfered goods to the owner of a small shop. A really amazing tale of friendship.
posted Aug 3, 2007 at 4:31PM
Emily said:
this book is great.it is a page turning and suspenseful.it talks about 2 orphans runaway from their home to venice.will they find a shelter? Who is thief lord? Read the book to find out.
posted Aug 19, 2005
Brooke said:
Set in Italy, this book tells the story of two runaway boys who are taken under the wing of The Thief Lord, a mysterious boy who acts much older than he appears. Joined with 3 other friends, Prosper and Bo try to outwit a detective who is trying to find them. Filled with mystery, suspense, and humor, The Thief Lord is an enjoyable book and a light read. I thought the beginning was a bit boring, but I kept reading and was glad I did!
posted Aug 3, 2004
Emma said:
I absoloutly loved this book! It's really good. It's a fantasy book and i usually don't read much fantasy, but this book was wonderful! It's about these kids who are sort of living on the streets becuase they ran away, and they meet the thief lord. And they steal things to stay alive. The kids parents had died and they were living with they're aunt and uncle and the aunt and unlce like Bo (the young one) but they didn't really want the older child. So that's why they run away. Then they send a detective out to try and find Bo. The detective eventually finds him and tries to find out if it really is him or not so he pretends to just be a nice man and starts talking to him and bo is convinced it's just a nice man. You'll have to read to find out if he gets caught or not. IT's a very good book and i recommend it to ages 12 .
posted Jun 17, 2004
Emma said:
I think this is a really good book. At first I have to admit that I didn't think i would be very interested in this book. I thougth that because I don't really read fantasy books. But now that I've read this book I think I will be reading fantasy a lot more!
posted Apr 27, 2004 at 3:33PM
Erica said:
I thought this was a great book with lots of unexpected twists. Its about a group of runaways in Italy.
Maren said:
I Absolutley LOVED this original book. Bo and Prosper, two kids who have run away from an aunt who wants to seperate them, go to Venice and meet a boy who calls himself "The Thief Lord". I'd like you to find out what happens next for yourself!
Natalie said:
The Thief Lord is a very nice story that stands on its own...it was a fast read, although I am a bit above the target age, so that might have been why. The descriptions of Venice were great. Most of the characters were likeable
Amy said:
The Thief Lord was a great book, it was very suspensfull at times. It didn't go too slow or too fast. It has perfect characters for the story.