home > bookspace > my comments > comment: the curious incident of the dog in the night-time /

At fifteen years old, narrator Christopher Boone may be pushing the boundaries of childhood. But Christopher is also autistic, which means he’s even more socially awkward and emotionally distant than the average kid on the verge of adolescence. Christopher screams when he’s touched, refuses to eat brown or yellow foods, and takes everything at its face value. But he also copes extremely well (usually by doing math problems to relax) and when he is falsely accused of murdering his neighbor’s dog, Christopher’s supposed disability proves to be the best deductive tool of all. Armed with his innate (and at times obsessive) sense of logic, Christopher writes a book in order to solve the case. The result is a sparkling clear account of Christopher’s life, from his parents’ failed marriage to his own compulsions to the mysteries of his neighborhood to real insights into this boy’s unusual and unique view of the world. Christopher may not be able to understand anyone else’s emotions, but readers will feel very strongly about this truly authentic, even ground-breaking child narrator and his story.
posted Nov 20, 2009 at 5:27PM
kb4444 said:
I really liked this book. I like how deeply you get into the main character's head so you know exactly what crosses his mind about the decisions he makes.
posted Apr 5, 2009 at 4:43PM
amsc84 said:
arwenelc has probably never met anyone with Autism or Asperger’s Syndrom before. Reading this book for a class opened my eyes SO MUCH as to what their world is like. It’s a small
posted Mar 31, 2009 at 7:47PM
arwenelc said:
My class had to read this novel, and none of us liked it. It’s hard getting used to the style of writing. The main character is really opinionated, and at times I felt offended. I know, he’s autistic, but I still felt that way. If you find it interesting to read a very different style, try it. I don’t recommend this book to anyone otherwise.
posted Nov 6, 2007 at 8:45PM
yelpster said:
Great book with a very interesting main character. Anyone who likes math can appreciate this young detective. Book also includes numerous pics and diagrams etc
posted Oct 3, 2006 at 2:56PM
minisha said:
it was ok. christopher has a disibility and you get to see what he goes throught and how he thinks. he usually questions what normal people take for granted because he doesn't understand and then he explains it in a way that even the reader starts to question things he/she takes for granted!
posted Jul 28, 2006 at 11:15AM
Cocagal said:
My teacher read this book to me and my class and even when it was playtime we all wanted to carry on!
posted Jun 17, 2006 at 3:23PM
Eoin said:
What an amazing book about understanding the life of a person with a mental illness and how he handles it. I HIGHLY recommend this book to all teens!
posted Jun 15, 2006 at 1:31PM
Erin said:
I recommend this book to anyone with a mature, open mind. It's about a 15 year old boy with a mental illness similar to autism. It goes inside his mind and shows the way he thinks. Despite the simple language, it's a hard book to follow, but very rewarding. It's a wonderful book.
posted Mar 10, 2006
Ruth said:
It is a wonderfully narrated novel by Christopher Boone, a 15 year old autistic who lives in England. It begins with the death of a neighbor's dog by a pitchfork ang continues with a journey that is sure to keep you interested to the very end. It is well worth the read, genuine,clever and moving. A must read!
posted Jun 21, 2005
Hannah said:
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" is an enthralling book. Once you start reading it, you won't want to put it down. It is about an autistic 15 year old boy named Christoper, and how he struggles to understand and deal with other people. When he finds a neighborhood dog murdered, he takes it upon himself to find the killer. I loved this book, not only because it was interesting, but because it helped me to understand a new perspective.
posted Jan 18, 2005