Minutes of Hennepin County Library Board Meeting 1/25/06
HENNEPIN COUNTY LIBRARY BOARD MEETING
OF JANUARY 25, 2006
The Hennepin County Library Board met on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 at Ridgedale Library.
Present: John Gibbs, Holly Guncheon, Patricia Izek, Jeffrey Lunde, and Cynthia Steinke
Library Staff Attending: Amy Ryan, Janet Leick, Sharon Charles, Margaret Gillespie, Lynn Stetler, Carolyn Muchow, Dan Hinrichs, Gail Mueller-Schultz, Judith Friedrich, Ardis Wiley, JoAn Skomra, Lois Langer Thompson, Elaine Dunn, Tom Farrell, and Bill Berg. Guests attending: Lt. Mary Erickson, U.S. Army and Stephan Grublesky, Association with the United States Army.
CALL TO ORDER
Cynthia Steinke, President called the Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of January 25, 2006 to order at 4:38 p.m. with a welcome to all. There were no public comments.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA
John Gibbs moved approval of the agenda, seconded by Patricia Izek and unanimously approved.
Books for Troops – Award Presented by, Lt. Mary Erickson, U.S. Army and Stephan Grublesky
Dan Hinrichs, Systems and Network Services Manager who reports to Sharon Charles, addressed the Board about the significant number of books being discarded and diverting the books to U.S. Army. Hennepin County Board of Commissions had to first give approval to divert discarded books to the Army. Dan Hinrichs introduced his sister, Lt. Mary Erickson with the U.S. Army who has assisted in distribution of Hennepin County Library books to the troops and there families. Lt. Erickson and Mr. Grublesky presented a plaque to the Library Board for the contributions received from Hennepin County Library
HCL Collection Overview – Sharon Charles, Resource Services Division Manager
Sharon Charles, Resource Services Division Manager, gave an overview of HCL Collection:
- Collection statistics
- Process of purchasing materials for the collection
- Staff decide the number of books purchased
- Reconsideration of books
- Resources needed to acquire a collection of this size
- Resources in past years through today
- Collection budget has remained flat for a long time until 2005
- Circulation has continued to climb in spite of the collection size increasing
- Goal over the next 3-4 years, bring Collection Budget up to 18%, currently at 13%
Patricia Izek moved approval of October 26, 2005 minutes as well as December 7, 2005 minutes, motion was seconded by John Gibbs and approved unanimously – 5 YEAS 1 ABSENT (Pratt) 1 VACANT
- October 26, 2005
- December 7, 2005
LIBRARY BOARD MEMBER REPORTS
- Activity around the Brooklyn Park Library
- Attended FIL Book Fair – Guadalajara
- Attending performance at Brookdale
- Attended the Urban Libraries Council’s Conference in Chicago
- Appointed as Committee Chair for Library Foundation Pen Pals
- Visited new library in Palm Springs, CA and talking with Librarian, she says the biggest problem with the new facility was the acoustics – Might be worth reaching out to them for additional information with regards to Eden Prairie Library and the noise levels
Hennepin County Board of Commissioners approved the Open Appointment interviews - Interviews will take place on Tuesday, January 31, 2006, at the Government Center, 24th Floor – Library Board will interview at 7:30 p.m.
- Open Appointments and Interviews – Y. McCrary
Janet asked the Board to approve the Library Board Expense Policy; no changes were made to the policy. Patricia Izek moved approval of the policy, seconded by Jeffrey Lunde and approved unanimously – 5 YEAS 1 ABSENT (Pratt) 1 VACANT
- Approval of Library Board Policy-LB5: Expense Policy – J. Leick
- 2006 Capital Budget - Expansion of the Plymouth Library – Construction will not occur in 2006
- Building Project Update – J. Leick
- Maple Grove Library – New building – Negotiation of land is ongoing
- Expansion of Teen Area of the Brookdale Library – More space is need to accommodate teens
Cynthia Steinke moved approval, seconded by John Gibbs and approved unanimously – 5 YEAS 1 ABSENT (Pratt) 1 VACANT
- Approval of 2006 Library Board Meeting Calendar – A Ryan
DIRECTOR’S REPORT – Amy E. Ryan
Patricia Izek moved approval of the gifts, seconded by Jeffrey Lunde and approved unanimously – 5 YEAS 1 ABSENT (Pratt) 1 VACANT
- St. Bonifacius Library 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Library Board Meeting from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m.
- Stakeholders Preview Breakfast from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m.
- Celebration and Ribbon Cutting takes place at 10:00 a.m.
John Sugimura has worked to put together a fun program filled with activities
- Brooklyn Park Library Task Force
- Commissioner Opat has pulled together a great group of individuals. Holly Guncheon has agreed to be the liaison for the Library Board. First meeting will take place on February 6, 2006 at the University of Minnesota, Coffman Union – Campus Club
There being no further business, the Library Board Meeting for January 25, 2006 was declared adjourned at 6:00 p.m. Next meeting is scheduled Saturday, February 18, 2006, 8:00 to 9:00 a.m., St. Bonifacius Library.
Cynthia Steinke, President