Hennepin County Library Board Meeting Minutes
October 27, 2004
Cynthia Steinke, President called the Hennepin County Library Board Meeting of October 27, 2004 to order at 4:35 p.m. All board members were present except Gerda Haas, Peter Miller, and Jeffrey Lunde. Staff attending: J. Leick, N. Perron, D. Cramer, Lois Langer Thompson, Coordinating Librarian, Southwest Resource Group, Mark Ranum, and Bill Berg.
Lois gave opening address highlighting the various attributes of Eden Prairie Library:
- Lois Langer Thompson - Coordinating Librarian, Southwest Resource Group
- September Statistics 103,577 items circulated
John Gibbs, Vice President of Library Board gave the following three suggestions for possibly dealing with the noise levels at Eden Prairie Library:
- Gave out 989 new library cards in September
- Answered 7,299 information questions
- 92 Computer Workstations & Wireless Access
- Fuel Cell Project - Alternative Energy - Projected annual savings of $80,000 in fuel cost
- Patrons are really pleased with the building
- Noise level in the building - Lois will address patron who emailed concern with the noise levels
1) Ask engineers to look at acoustics in building to help reduce noise levels, especially near the entrance
2) In area where fuel cell is located, create a super quiet area
3) Give instructions or teach new immigrants ways to quietly use the library facilities
- David Pratt moved approval of the minutes, seconded by Patricia Izek and approved unanimously - 4 YEAS, 3 ABSENT (Miller, Haas, Lunde) APPROVED
Mark Ranum outlined HCL Poverty Action Plan Steps: Projects and Priorities for 2004/2005 and gave background of Sandy Vargas and Hennepin County Administration, having brought the workshop Bridges Out of Poverty to the county in February 2004. Janet extended invitation to Board to attend next one-day workshop on Friday, December 3, 2004 at Ridgedale in the RHR Room.
- Bridges Out of Poverty - Mark Ranum, Coordinating Librarian,
Southeast Resource Group
Further investigation into noise levels at Eden Prairie Library and find solution to reduce noise.
- Investigate Noise Levels at Eden Prairie Library - John Gibbs
Submitted proposed changes to the Bylaws, waiting to hear from County Attorney as to whether the Board can make appropriate changes without County Commissioners approval.
- Changing of Bylaws - David Pratt
DIRECTOR'S REPORT - Janet Leick
Gave overview of what was presented at the Proposed 2005 Budget Presentation before the County Commissioners.
- Restore hours in libraries, which were reduced in 2004
Library Foundation Executive Director Interviews
- Additional million for Collections
- 5 Candidates Interviewed
Rogers Library Remodeling
- Hire would be via contract
- Renovations revamped to include enclosed 150 sq. ft
- New reopening date scheduled for February 19, 2005
- New exterior is being added to building
- Participated as a Panel Member to the Library Foundation for selection of new Executive Director Jeffrey Lunde
- Concern with amount of incidents occurring in libraries based on 3rd Quarter Incident Report
- Introduction to the Library Board Cynthia Steinke
- Brief overview of background and gratitude for being on Library Board
- Attended Fuel Cell Project Opening @ Eden Prairie
David Pratt moved approval of acceptance of non-monetary gifts, seconded by Patricia Izek and approved unanimously - 5 YEAS 2 ABSENT (Haas & Miller) APPROVED
There being no further business the meeting of Hennepin County Library Board for October 27, 2004 was declared adjourned at 6:11 p.m.
|$ 401.50 ||- ||Friends of Westonka Library|
|$1,059.71 ||- ||Friends Maple Grove Library|
|$1,462.21 ||- ||Grand Total|
Peter Miller, Secretary