by Jakob H.F. Fjelde, 1889
Through the years, “Minerva” has been one of the more consistent aspects of the downtown Minneapolis library. She was there in 1889 when the first central library was built at 10th Street and Hennepin Avenue, and she stood perched over its entryway, in a niche between two windows on the second floor, for decades. When the next library opened at Third Street and Nicollet Mall in 1961, the 1,700-pound bronze beauty made the move there as well. Her adventures continued over time, including a foray to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts for a “Minnesota 1900” exhibit and eventually a place of honor at the new Minneapolis Central Library in 2006.