Hennepin County Library Board Policy
Hennepin County Library welcomes and encourages donations. The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to those who wish to support the Hennepin County Library through a financial or other donation. It describes the scope of donations received, and defines the roles and responsibilities for accepting donations made to the Hennepin County Library.
- Donations are welcomed and valued expressions of individual support for Hennepin County Library and its mission to nourish minds, transform lives, and build community together.
- Donations enhance the library's services and programs.
- Financial donations enrich Hennepin County Library but do not replace public tax support.
- Planned gifts contribute to the legacy and sustain the mission of Hennepin County Library.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Hennepin County Board of Commissioners has delegated to the Library Board the authority and responsibility to accept donations to the Hennepin County Library on behalf of Hennepin County. The Library Board will acknowledge significant donations with an additional expression of appreciation to the donor.
The Library does not provide appraisals of gifts or potential gifts, and does not accept materials that are not outright gifts.
Scope and Disposition of Donations Received
- Library supporters are encouraged to make financial donations to the Friends of Hennepin County Library or to the individual Friends of the Library groups.
- The Library Board encourages library supporters to consider the planned giving opportunities administered by the Friends of Hennepin County Library.
- Donations of books and other materials will be accepted. Staff will determine if the material will be added to the collection or given to the Friends of Hennepin County Library or to individual Friends of the Library groups for resale.
- Donations of material that may be suitable for Hennepin County Library’s collection will be considered for acceptance in the context of the library’s Collection Development and Management Policy. The decision to accept the donation of a major special collection is made by the Library Board upon recommendation of the Library Director. Donated collections become the property of Hennepin County Library, which has the authority on retention, location and disposition.
- Works of art may be donated to the Hennepin County Library. The considerations and criteria defined in the Commissioned Public Art Policy will be applied to individual works of art that may be donated. The decision to accept and utilize donated art in libraries is made by the Library Board upon recommendation of the Library Director. Donated art becomes the property of Hennepin County Library, which has the authority on retention, location and disposition. A good faith effort will be made to keep donated art in the library intended by the donor.
Associated Policies and County Board Resolutions
This policy is reviewed by the Library Director (or designee) every five years, or more frequently as needed. Recommendations are advanced to the Library Board Program/Policy Committee. The Committee reviews and revises as necessary, endorses and advances to the full Library Board for approval.
Next Review Date: 3/2018
Date Approved: 1/22/2014
Date Adopted: 2014
Previous Policy Dated: 8/24/2011