This Carnegie-funded library opened in 1915. It is named for Charles Sumner, a U.S. Senator from Massachusetts and an outspoken abolitionist. The library has received historic designation from the City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. A 2004-05 renovation refurbished or reclaimed many historical building features. Before 1915, the library was located in a rented room at 901 6th Avenue North.
View a list of free library events at Sumner Library
Join the Friends of Sumner Library
611 Van White Memorial Blvd.